Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have a nice bike, I want to look after it. What do I need to purchase?

What do I need for the chain lubricant? Are there special cycle oil or just spray some WD40 on there? How often do I need to apply?

Do I need to invest in something to clean it? It will not get as mucky as a mountain bike. If I could find a spray or something that could be used in the flat/out on the landing rather than having to take a bucket of soapy water outside, that would be ideal as I am on the second floor. Is a kit like this a good buy and what on earth would I need lube (ooer) for?

Tubes/puncture kit/fancy can of gas thingy/pump and what should I take out with me on a ride? I have a cheap pump. Is this good enough or should I invest in a good one? Someone told me that I need a can of some sort of gas to take out with me to inflate the tyre after a puncture. Is that right or nonsense?

Any other essentials?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I have 2 bottle cages and bottles, a mini-pump. In my little bag under my saddle, I have a spare inner tube, tyre levers and bike multi-tool. I've never successfully repaired an inner tube, so I don't bother with a puncture repair kit, I just view inner tubes as consumables.

I also have one of these, for my phone, key, gels, etc:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roswheel-Bicycle-Outdoor-Top-Tube-Tool-Bag-Nokia-Lumia-920-LG-Optimus-L9-Blue-/221399974910

No idea on cleaning stuff I'm afraid, although I will be looking at responses with interest!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Gosh you ask so many questions! One thing I do know - do not use WD40 on your bike.

Try getting hold of a copy of Bike Maintenance for Dummies. It will tell you more about difference types of lube. I just have a multi-purpose lubricant.

I find it highly unlikely you could clean a bike adequately indoors. Unless you are planning on riding it on completely dry roads all of the time it will get dirty and will need a proper shampoo and rinse.

You will need a degreaser. Perhaps that's what the 'drive train cleaner' in the Wiggle kit is.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've never successfully repaired an inner tube, so I don't bother with a puncture repair kit, I just view inner tubes as consumables.
Really? it's not that difficult. I've sucessfully repaired one on the side of the road when i'd put the spare inner in the rear wheel earlier in the ride and then i got another in the front later in the ride.

WRT kit, i carry a water bottle, spare inner, puncture repair kit, OS maps, my phone and some snacks (usually a bag of mini party rings). I keep meaning to get one of the 'get you home' foam goos that go outdoors sell to keep in my bag, just in case.

Cleaning: I bought some chain lubricant from ASDA which is great, and a spray cleaner. I also live in a flat, but just deal with taking a bucket of water downstairs when I want to clean the bike. I haven't found anything that beats a good scrub with a brush and soapy water.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The best thing I've found for cleaning a bike is the cheapest possible own brand shampoo, tescos had it recently at 40p a litre. Just don't get it on your hair! It's best sprayed on neat from a cheap plant sprayer then rinsed off with water. Really cuts through road grime. When you've dried the bike off spray wd40 on the paintwork to keep it shiny, (possibly the only use for wd40).

There are two very different approaches to chain lube. Either use a thicker oil or a really thin spray (not wd40). A thick oil isn't ideal as it picks up dirt but won't wash off easily. A thin spray is functionally best but you'll need to use it very often and certainly after a wet ride. GT85 is excellent.

By all means carry a spare tube but also carry patches and learn how to use them, punctures often occur in groups and you'll never carry lots of tubes but you can carry a pack of patches. A gas can will give you one chance to inflate your tyre so carry a pump. Small pumps won't let you really get enough pressure in the tyre but they'll get you home.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 2 bottle cages and bottles, a mini-pump.
Unless I am missing something obvious, how do you get two bottle cages and a pump? I had to sacrifice one bottle for the pump as it takes the other set of bolts on the frame. Are you keeping your pump elsewhere on the bike?

Gosh you ask so many questions!

Try getting hold of a copy of Bike Maintenance for Dummies.
I'm a bit clueless. lol. Will take a look for the book.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
It is possible to attach the bike pump clip and a bottle cage to the same set of bolts. That's how I have mine.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
...helmet.. goes without saying so i thought i'd say it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
204 Posts
Buy a saddle bag to hold the essental items, I have a micro pump that fits in the back of my jersey, and i always carry a spare inner tube and tools with me in the bag, Get some mid-range lube and never use WD-40, Just imagine what you will need when fixing a tyre and try and bring them along for the ride just incase. I always invest in top punchure resistant tyres. I also have a top tube bag to hold phone and snacks :D for those long rides.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Buy a saddle bag to hold the essental items, I have a micro pump that fits in the back of my jersey, and i always carry a spare inner tube and tools with me in the bag, Get some mid-range lube and never use WD-40, Just imagine what you will need when fixing a tyre and try and bring them along for the ride just incase. I always invest in top punchure resistant tyres. I also have a top tube bag to hold phone and snacks :D for those long rides.
Was going to say this. Just get a wee one and stash in your jersey pocket at the back!

I need both bottle cages because I get thirsty!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts