Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out for a run yesterday I was hit by a cyclist. I was minding my own business, running along the side of a country lane road, towards the direction traffic as you're supposed to and a cyclist rode straight towards and into me, catching my arm. She made no attempt to cycle round me at all.

Her and her cycling partner stopped further up the road and she sent her cycling partner back to get an apology from me!!

I'm afraid I lost my temper somewhat :mad:

So far over the past year I have had a bus and two cars drive at me deliberately, and now a bike... and it's making me a touch nervous :confused:

·
Registered
151 Posts
A running pal of mine has been in the same situation, except his was off road. The cyclist was coming down hill at speed on a path that was wide enough for a bus never mind a cyclist and a runner. Anyway the cyclist clipped my mate on the arm, them proceeded to shout abuse at him for being in the way. My mate was speechless, as he was minding his own business and running up the side of the path, so there was plenty room.

I ain't no head doc, but I think it comes down to personal space/territorial issues. There seems to be a lot of cyclists out there who could be doing with a refresher on the highway code.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Four teenagers tripped me up last August.
I ended up with a huge gash in my knee, 5 hours in A+E and 8 stitches.
I was not a happy bunny!

·
Registered
105 Posts
one of our members is a policeman and he can tell some horrific stories about accidents and muggings on runners. make sure that you keep your eyes peeled and ears pricked when running in areas with which you are not familiar, don't wear i-pods and please ladies don't run on your own down narrow alleyways. whenever possible don't run on your own. most safety is common sense.

i'm sorry to hear about your incident trinity - maybe you shouldn't carry that gun when you run, it only encourages the macho males ;). our main problem tends to be some of the anglers on the canal and their long poles, but most are considerate. dog walkers are my personal bugbear with their "it's all right, he doesn't bite" as they alsation jumps up at you. my usual reply is along the lines of "he might if i accidentally kicked him in the bollocks"

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I've been hit by a bus and I saw the driver looking at me and change direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

The main problem are the dogs though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've never been in a collision with a cyclist, but a car nearly ran me over the other week. I was trying to cross the road and it swerved into the wrong lane and drove down the right (as in right/left, not right/wrong) side of the road and almost knocked me over.

I also had a car slow right down and follow me for a bit of the way once, which really creeped me out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I nearly collided with a runner yesterday

Dark, rainy evening. A runner in dark clothes sprinted acoss the road without looking neither left nor right. I had to hit the brakes in the car. He gave me and the kids a right scare. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran straight into a cyclist when the sun was in my eyes, does that count? It was entirely my fault.

I don't understand why people like in your collision, Trinity, might want to be so deliberately obstructive. They must be very sad people with no friends, and therefore deserve our pity, and a little contempt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was on a narrow country lane a couple of months ago and was running past a couple of horseriders riding double as a guy on a bike came hurtling straight towards me. Needless to say I had to jump off the road double quick to avoid being hit, he obviously thought I was more likely to get out of the way than the horses. Next time I see him though, I'll shove a stick through his spokes!!!

I've also ran into a few wheelie bins, I blame the bin everytime!:p

·
Registered
59 Posts
Embarassing van collision

I had an embarrassing collision with a van.
I was about to run across a junction when a van pulled up. I waited patiently until it started to pull out, when I continued to run behind it. Only for the driver to decide to stop for no reason. Leaving me to stupidly collide straight to the back end of the van face first!! Ouch! And it did hurt too!

:embarrassed:
Stupot (or should it be Stupid)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
CPHR said:
Dark, rainy evening. A runner in dark clothes sprinted acoss the road without looking neither left nor right. I had to hit the brakes in the car. He gave me and the kids a right scare. :eek:
This is interesting.
Runners moan about other road users but are often idiots themselves! One group I ran with always had one fool who would run in the road! They then get all arsey if a motorist beeps at them!

·
Registered
244 Posts
The other week my toes collided with a curb that I thought was lowered as I crossed a road and reached a centre crossing point, result was me falling flat on my face. No damage apart from ripping my gloves (think it would've been my palms had I not had gloves on), and denting my pride!

First and only time I've fallen over out running and sober!

·
Registered
59 Posts
hammerite said:
The other week my toes collided with a curb that I thought was lowered as I crossed a road and reached a centre crossing point, result was me falling flat on my face. No damage apart from ripping my gloves (think it would've been my palms had I not had gloves on), and denting my pride!

First and only time I've fallen over out running and sober!
Its really embarrassing falling over isn't it?
Whats the first thing you do after you fall..... you get up and look around to see if anyone saw you fall.... then no matter how bad the fall..... you carry on regardless....then, when no-one can see you stop to either cry or bleed!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
stupot said:
Its really embarrassing falling over isn't it?
Whats the first thing you do after you fall..... you get up and look around to see if anyone saw you fall.... then no matter how bad the fall..... you carry on regardless....then, when no-one can see you stop to either cry or bleed!!
Yep know what you mean.

I couldn't really hope that no one saw me as I was running with 3 others at the time!!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
:d :d :d
YES! First thing is looking around to check on the onlookers!
Then you run on, find a quiet corner and finally assess the damage.

Stupot... after that collision I went to talk to the woman in the car and apologized... And then ran away from that place as fast as I could as I could just imagine the people inside the cars behind and on the 2 BUS STOPS!!!!! laughing at me! :eek:

:d

·
Registered
38 Posts
While out for a ride a few weeks ago I was hit by a runner. I was minding my own business, cycling along the side of a country lane road, with the direction of the traffic as you're supposed to and a runner ran straight towards and into me, catching my arm. She made no attempt to run round me at all.

My cycling partner and I stopped further up the road and I sent my cycling partner back to get an apology from her!! [Bliddy runners!]

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Is it just me or do pedestrians not care anymore?
I had to slow right down and run round a guy the other night at a bus stop as he was NOT going to get out of my way!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts