Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past week I've noticed that my appetite has picked up to the stage that I'm having to eat something almost every hour! I never used to suffer like this before I started jogging, am I not eating enough or is it my body getting used to the changes? its driving me mad!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have been having a really hungry week this week and last week :huh:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm well I hope its just a blip and nothing else, I find it odd that I feel like this now that I've increased my jogging and am pushing myself more.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hahaha :p Probably just the fact that your body is getting used to the extra energy getting used up, BUT how much are you actually running? When I'm doing up to about 18 odd miles a week I don't really feel the need to eat any huge amount more than what I do normally, and I only ever eat 3 meals a day, no snacks, so perhaps what you need to do is eat slow burning food, more wholemeal things, so that you're fuller for longer. You must be careful with these things, you may feel like you should eat more because you're hungry more when you start out, but that's how a lot of people falter and end up not losing weight etc etc, because they actually end up eating too much.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
are you drinking enough fluids as this can show itself as hunger, but actually you are dehydrated?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think part of it depends what you're eating as well... snacking on sugary foods leads to cravings for more sugary foods, and the cravings seem to come back the following day! :( *finishes munching on his bar of Dairy Milk* :embarrassed:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It's gone the opposite way for me... has been for quite a while to the point that I'm starting to worry because of the lack of nutrition.

I'm going to buy some protein drinks tomorrow, and maybe some multi vits

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read an artical claiming running supressed the appitite!!!,,, thought i must have been doing it wrong as im eating like a horse.
so pleased its not just me!!
jo

·
Registered
707 Posts
Once your body settles in to the routine then you'll probably find that whereas you think you should be hungry straight after runs, you won't be. I know I've found on a few occasions after 13 mile runs without anything to eat beforehand that I've then had a shower, hung around a bit, went in to town to meet up with folk and it been a few good hours before I've eaten something, and not felt the need to faint... give it time :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I find that I go through phases, but generally speaking, I have periods where I eat continuously in huge amounts. And it isn't me being a pig, I just feel the need to replenish sometimes, especially after a lot of running in the week.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I've always gone through periods of having an insaitiable hunger I can eat my tea go for seconds and half an hour later eat a yogurt and some fruit. On a hungry day I can eat breakfast first thing something light when I get to work porridge or a sausage and egg roll at 10 lunch at 12 snack at 3 something to eat when i get in just after 5 dinner about 8 then a snakc before bed. This can go on for a couple of weeks. Then the next week I'll eat next to nothing in comparison.

Strange!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My body is just wierd, I was starving hungry all yesterday morning then all afternoon I was fine! today I feel back to normal again. I reakon my early morning run did it. Whats even wierder still is that scales show I've lost 1lb overnight which is very unusal for me

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
My body is just wierd, I was starving hungry all yesterday morning then all afternoon I was fine! today I feel back to normal again. I reakon my early morning run did it. Whats even wierder still is that scales show I've lost 1lb overnight which is very unusal for me

Don't you love it when you lose a bit without apparently doing anything. I always seem to lose weight in the early part of the week, after my weekend morning runs. It may be because I eat tea quite late during the week to fit everything in.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Don't you love it when you lose a bit without apparently doing anything. I always seem to lose weight in the early part of the week, after my weekend morning runs. It may be because I eat tea quite late during the week to fit everything in.
looking at your sig line, you seem to have dropped 3lbs in the last week. You might want to try and slow down the weight drop a bit, because you shouldn't really be losing more than 2 or 3 lbs a month for healthy weight loss.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I always show the lowest figure and weigh myself just after a run :d

I actually lost that 3 pounds in a day. I will then go up and down for a few day until I get another drop. That is why I stuck at 16 for a while. Having posted 16 on a good day I went back up and it took a while to settle.

I am losing around 1/2 a stone a month and am feeling great so no real worries at this end.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Last time I lost weight when I was 20 I got to 11 st from 17 in 8 months.
Could this not have been a contributing factor to you getting back up to the 18st mark? Of course when you're a lot heavier, you can afford to lose weight a little quicker - but it's pretty well known that the more gradual the weight loss, the more likely it is to stay off. Whether that's down to lifestyle and psychological changes or what I'm not sure :confused:

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Only if putting 5 stone on over 15 years is yoyoing.

Just to put your mind at rest.

At 18 I left home and immediately my staple diet was pizza, wine and beer. In 12 months I went to 17 stone from 13.
At 19 I got a job at a stables and with my money stopped drinking and the job was physical, this was my first weight loss.
At 23 I met my wife and settled into meals round the table and plenty of social drinking. I also got into a habit of finishing her plate for her. As my career progressed my jobs got less physical and I spent more time behind a desk.
As I am 6' 2" we didn't really notice the first few stone.

At 36,this year I got a job that means I spend several hours a day in the car. I made a decision that if I did not sort my weight out I would end up seeing my days out overweight.

Hence, a severe change in lifestyle.

Hope this clears any worries. I am a firm believer of doing what feels right and so far I feel great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts