Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some contradicting information, on one hand I've read you NEED a rest day between runs, so you alternate between rests and runs.

On the other hand I've read:

If your muscles feel sore the next day, take the day off.
Increase the amount of time gradually until you can exercise 30 minutes a day at a relaxed pace and not feel sore.
source : http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/beginner.html

do you guys run everyday or alternate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
Personally, I intend to run everyday, but this thing called life gets in the way and enforces rest days on me.

Last week I only ran once due to illness and an extremely busy weekend. That was the fisrt time since I had started running over a year ago that I'd put in so little milage.

I always take my kit to work so that I can run at lunchtime but usually end up having around two rest days a week due to circumstances cropping up and changing my plans.


umm? got me thinking, I feel a new thread coming on......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
I have no set programme. However, I ran 4 days in a row this week and this morning went for a swim. Sometimes I will swim 4 or 5 days in a row and then run 2 or 3 days on the bounce. I think it is important to exercise at least 6 out of 7 days for a minimum of 30 minutes. On top of this I cycle 10 miles plus during my working hours most days. To stop getting too sore, maybe rather than rest days, change the exercise you are doing; swimming or cycling for example.:d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice, much appreciated. (cycle today)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
there are no 'rules' to training... everyone has their own take on things... when you are new i think you should just concentrate on getting out there and trying to run three times a week and not worry about how you do... my best advice is to not go try and run fast as it is very hard to maintain it and you will just end up giving up after five minutes... you need to try and jog and keep up the pace for as long as possible...

i do not agree with everything that is said on that website... first of all i don't think that anyone runs 30 minutes a day everyday and doesn't feel sore afterwards !... secondly it took me about six months to go from starting running to running 25 miles per week, the website implies its easy to do - it's not!... there is also the implication that the ultimate goald is 'marathon training' but i disagree with this... and tbh i've never really understood these training plans on websites... i have always ignored them and done my own thing and it hasn't worked out too bad...

good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
Revenged said:
there are no 'rules' to training... everyone has their own take on things... when you are new i think you should just concentrate on getting out there and trying to run three times a week and not worry about how you do... my best advice is to not go try and run fast as it is very hard to maintain it and you will just end up giving up after five minutes... you need to try and jog and keep up the pace for as long as possible...

i do not agree with everything that is said on that website... first of all i don't think that anyone runs 30 minutes a day everyday and doesn't feel sore afterwards !... secondly it took me about six months to go from starting running to running 25 miles per week, the website implies its easy to do - it's not!... there is also the implication that the ultimate goald is 'marathon training' but i disagree with this... and tbh i've never really understood these training plans on websites... i have always ignored them and done my own thing and it hasn't worked out too bad...

good luck!
Good post Rev, 25 miles a week needs a lot of commitment. I also wholeheartedly agree that a training plan should be designed by you around your life style. That way it is is achievable and flexible enough to work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
I do 5 runs a week....generally Mon,Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sun...though this does vary according to races, weather and mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
mrstimpson said:
On the other hand I've read:

If your muscles feel sore the next day, take the day off.


I was told that you should rest between days, but that was by my OH who doesn't run. So now I run about 4 times a week and ignore him. Today I ran my furthest and don't know how I managed it as I was so sore from the other day. At the moment if I laugh, cough, walk it hurts like hell.

Saying that no pain no gain hey?:) I think if I hurt then it's done me good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
mrstimpson said:
I've read some contradicting information, on one hand I've read you NEED a rest day between runs, so you alternate between rests and runs.

On the other hand I've read:

If your muscles feel sore the next day, take the day off.
Increase the amount of time gradually until you can exercise 30 minutes a day at a relaxed pace and not feel sore.
source : http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/beginner.html

do you guys run everyday or alternate?
Ok its very important to rest between excercise.

This will give the muscles the rest you need, when you train hard your muscles get microscopic tears in them. The rest time helps them repair safely.

Every other day is fine, but for the sort of work your doing you can get awy with 2 days no stress.

Stacka
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top