Runners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody have luck with micro-discectomy? I didn't. Ran a Marathon last year, since then, my sciatic nerve started giving me issues after just a few miles. Just a few months after my marathon. Went to PT with no success, then i had an MRI and noticed the nerve touching my disc. Tried an injection as my last effort to fix this thing, didn't help much then, finally decided to get micro-discectomy surgery. It didn't go well. My disc was worse then ever after the surgery, pushing in the nerve even more. Was recommended a second surgery as they would cut off more of my disc. Now, i'm better than after the first surgery but that first surgery did a number to me. It made my foot cold and weak all the time (nerve compression/scar tissue). I'm into 2 months after my surgery and i just am not ready to run yet and i'm real worried i will never run again. Currently, just happy i can walk with minimal pain. Praying that i will be able to run someday.
Anybody experience something like this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
I haven't had a micro-discectomy - but it looks like it may be one of the options I have for a disc problem that is causing me immense pain and prevents me walking - let alone running. I desperately want to be back to normal and running as I have done for the past 40 years. So I would also be interested in hearing from runners who have had both successful and unsuccessful micro-discectomy's so I can see if it is the right way to go - although I see no other at present.
I have a postero lateral disc protusion
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gosh, I really don't have much luck with surgeons. I had another "low risk" surgery about 7 years ago. Didn't go as planned. Nerve damage as well. One thing i can say is that, both of my surgery decisions were more of a corrective measure and in retrospect, i should have not did them. These Surgeons are like used car salesmen. They will make you feel like they're going to make all things great. My experience both times, the surgeons didn't want to see me face to face for a follow up. Not a good sign. Don't do it unless you REALLY have to.
Thanks. To be honest I tend to feel the same ... I tend to think that I never come out of a hospital better than I went in and the promise is never as good as the reality...
Thats why I was hoping for some good news stories

1 - 2 of 2 Posts