Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having stretched and softer-grounded my way past sore shins, coped with weeks of permanently aching thighs and marvelled at how the ache in my shoulder vanished when they fixed the aircon in the office, I really thought I would be able to settle in for a stretch of (relatively) pain-free running.

But no. I had a couple of twinges in my left arch on my Sunday run but thought nothing of it. I woke yesterday morning to, again, the odd twinge, but it went away once I got up and moved around. By the end of yesterday, though, my arch was hurting with every step and even kept shooting pain at me while I was sitting down.

It's no better today :(

I popped into Boots on the way to work to get some arch support insole thingies, but I've just scared myself silly by reading up stuff on t'internet (I really should have learned by now not to do that). Have I gone and properly broken myself, or might this be something that'll go away in a few days and let me get back to running again, albeit with the extra arch supports? I really want to run every step of that 5km in less than 5 weeks time, but not if it's going to make my foot worse and make me have to take a longer rest afterwards.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
BPC that doesn't sound very good, I don't know anything about this but perhaps get some expert advice incase you do any long term damage.

Fingers crossed it won't amount to anything too serious.

TT :(

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
oh sorry bag i dont know anything about arches either, i have had pain in mine but i think that is due to me not stretching out properly etc e.g. cramping of the arch...

I hope its just a thing that will resolve quickly

:(

Leece

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
It could be a number of things... though I'm not going to pretend I know what they are!

Just take it easy and rest, using the arch supports as much as possible and see how you get on. Do you have a high arched foot? (google the 'wet foot test' if you're unsure)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I did the sensible thing and just walked (well, limped :p ) into the NHS walk-in centre.

They said I've just strained it. So nothing terribly serious, but a week of enforced rest just when I really don't need or want it. Blimey, did I just say that? I can't recall ever being annoyed at having an excuse not to exercise before now :eek:

Treatment (apart from rest) is bandage to support it and good ol' ibuprofen (how did we manage before they invented it?).

I'd always thought I had very low arches, but the nurse said they were "good, not low at all". Definitely not high though.

A jolly good experience of the NHS all round :d - she asked intelligent questions, listened to the answers, gave me sensible advice and treated me like a human being with a brain. If only it were always so.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well one weeks rest will make very little difference to all the hard work you have already put in, so don't worry to much and enjoy the rest.

Glad it will all be ok. :d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Lol... at first I read that as "a weeks rest will make very little difference..." lol.

But then of course I read the rest of the sentence and you're spot on TT, you won't lose any fitness by resting a week, so don't worry yourself about that!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
richardsimkiss said:
Lol... at first I read that as "a weeks rest will make very little difference..." lol.

But then of course I read the rest of the sentence and you're spot on TT, you won't lose any fitness by resting a week, so don't worry yourself about that!

No, but I was banking on gaining fitness, and that ain't going to happen now.

Ah well, if I don't run it all (the RfL that is), I don't, and if I still manage to, it'll be even more of an achievement :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself it is still 5 weeks away, you will be running it no doubt about it. :d

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could you do any swimming to keep up your fitness and motivation BPC? I know you said enforced rest but as the water will be supporting you, would that be okay?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tortoise said:
Could you do any swimming to keep up your fitness and motivation BPC? I know you said enforced rest but as the water will be supporting you, would that be okay?
It's a great idea, but I'm lacking in access to decent swimming pools :(

If it's a bit better in a day or two, I think I should be OK to do something on an exercise bike, to keep the fitness going without stressing the foot too much. It's already feeling better than this time yesterday - the support insole thingies were very good, and now I'm in bare feet at home, but with it bandaged up nicely. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boo, it's no better and I'm starting to go slightly nuts. Especially with it being such a lovely day out there, I just want to go for a run. Then I stand up and my foot shouts at me and I get all grumpy :( I'm starting to get the teeniest inkling of what taper madness is all about. If I'm feeling like this after 3 months "running" tiny distances, how crazy would a marathon runner be feeling right now?

How on earth are you supposed to rest a foot properly? I walk a total of about 40 minutes a day, just to get to and from work, before you even start adding in all the walking round the office and at home. Then there's having to stand on the tube most days. I'm seriously thinking of taking my shoe off and displaying my bandaged foot to the world just to get a seat :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Would it help if you could walk around in your trainers Richard mentioned this to Dave a few weeks ago he was having problems with his foot and it really helped, I know if you work in an office this is not ideal but to and from work etc might make thing more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi TT.

I have a pair of walking trainers which have pretty decent arch support, and I'm wearing them the whole time! I have a back-office job, so it doesn't matter that I look daft in smart trousers and shirt and a pair of red & black trainers :d

They might not be quite as good support-wise as my running shoes, but I'm bandaged up underneath too, so it's probably pretty close.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
The more you can support the arch the better... in worst case scenarios even getting out of bed in the night without support could worsen things :(

Indeed being patient is about the only thing you can do - and as much as I hate to say it... your 40mins walk to work - as much as it'll help your general wellbeing, will only hinder the recovery process :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts