Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im impressed with this forum, it looks good.

My only suggestion, can there be a topic created to bring together training partners. I.e. people post there location and people from the area can meet and run together, giving support etc.

If it exsists allready ill wind my neck in.

Stacka

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
That'd be Dan (Admin) or Bairy to sort out... I like the idea in principal... but from my time on the forum I've not found anyone who'd be close enough to me that I'd consider training with them - Though I'm sure that's not the same for everyone! Also there could potentially be just a really long thread of people saying "hi everyone, I'm from xxxxxx" followed by "hi all, i'm from yyyyyyyyy" without anyone actually getting anything out of it, lol.

Maybe a seperate section containing a feature to search for users by location?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I run my own forum and we use googlemaps to allow forum members to add a 'pin' on the map.
This is for SMF software but I am sure there is something similiar for VButtetin.

We have locked it down so only registered used can view the map and it works well.

O.

·
Registered
298 Posts
In addition.... upload file size.... restricted to 39.1k?! That leaves little room for actually uploading much! :cool:

I tried to upload a scan of a book page in JPG and eventually had to reduce it to a scan of a paragraph to meet the strict data size requirements....

...or shall I wind my neck in, as you just dont want people clogging your server up with large file sizes!? :embarrassed:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
try saving it as a GIF BASE813... you may find that takes up less space seeing as it's not a photo and doesn't really require the same quality :) I always just use photoshop to shrink my file sizes... though I guess not everyone has that :(

·
Registered
298 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
... though I guess not everyone has that :(
Only because they have not discovered torrents yet! :rolleyes: ;)

....I am at work so did not have my usual "tools" to hand!

but yeah....of course... GIF should have been tried!

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It would be possible to show people by their location, probably by one of the google map mashups that offer such a service, or by putting together a uk map and letting people narrow by counties, cities etc. It'd have to be opt in for privacy reasons.

I'll see what Dan thinks. If yes, it's gonna be a while before anything could be implemented.
You can search for people by location using member search, though it does need a pretty exact location so I doubt many will find it that useful.

As for the attachments, an oversight. They're now set to 195k each. There are also dimension restrictions. I don't really know what would be the most ideal sizes so feel free to suggest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts