Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my diet about 3 months ago and switched to a high fat low carb eating. The first thing I have noticed is that my running has been completely unaffected. The second thing is I have lost about 3kg and most of that appears to be body fat. I am interested in hearing from others who have ditched the carbs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
I changed my diet about 3 months ago and switched to a high fat low carb eating. The first thing I have noticed is that my running has been completely unaffected. The second thing is I have lost about 3kg and most of that appears to be body fat. I am interested in hearing from others who have ditched the carbs.
a couple of comments:

- my personal experience is that it's, indeed, one of the best fat loss diets around. Before buying into the hype, I read tons about it and watched probably like 20 hours worth of YouTube videos on the subject, mainly from different PhDs or M.D., not some crazy nutters.
I think I lost about 8kg/17pounds, and mainly it was fat loss. When you embark on LCHF (low carb high fat, that is), your weight loss at first is due to water loss though..

Quote:A well established fact is that low-carbohydrate diets tend to cause a rapid loss of water in the first few days. This occurs [because] glycogen is stored along with water in a ratio of three grams of water for every gram of stored carbohydrate. As glycogen is depleted, water is lost

- my running didn't get affected either - only got better, my stamina and endurance improved considerably (i.e. no need for gels or any water intake), and I recovered so much better

- if you consider this for a competitive race or even a marathon, make sure you stick to it quite religiously. I mean being "in ketosis" here, not just following LCHF. My personal experience is that if you "slip" & get kicked out of ketosis, it's horrible and takes up to 72h to get back again. Say, if you "slip" (as that Haggen Daaz tub or croissant w/ latte was too tempting) the day before your long midweek or weekend runs, then you're screwed, at least I was. I was so sluggish, felt as if I had just had a 12" pizza and 3 pints

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. Not sure if I have been in ketosis at all. I stopped eating anything with sugar in it about 5 months ago apart from an occasional square of 85% coco chocolate. So no sweets, cake, ice cream etc etc. This has been actually very easy for me to do as I have good will power - I sit next to the tub of office sweets and haven't touched them since July 2015.
I have cut out the vast majority of carbs and significantly increased my good fat intake to compensate. However life does get in the way and I am allowing myself a maximum of three carb meals a week - but hopefully less.
I am hoping I get better at burning fat when running as I am running the Hadrian's Wall ultra next year and I don't want the carb ups and downs I had when I did the Lakeland 100. But the main reason for the diet change was to eat a healthy diet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
tried it a few times, within a few weeks i'm sick to death of the taste of fat
well, depends how you do it and what your dietary choices n preferences are, I guess.. it's harder to do a vegan version of keto and that can be quite boring but not really heard people complain about the taste side of omnivore keto diet since you can eat your cream, butter, nuts, avo, pesto, cheese, mayo, bacon, eggs (yolk in particular) Just make a hearty bulletproof coffee (w/ brain octane oil) in the morning and you're "full" and satiated until 1pm.. plus, you can, or rather - should, also eat all non-starchy veg etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone! I am 174cm 63kg, follow a balanced diet with cheat meals mostly at weekends. I work out 3-4 times a week I do a body weight training twice and run on the treadmill 15-20k.
I would like to ask you if you interval training or long runs are more effective in fat loss. I want to drop 3kg and try to combine my diet with the right training method!
Thank you :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hello everyone! I am 174cm 63kg, follow a balanced diet with cheat meals mostly at weekends. I work out 3-4 times a week I do a body weight training twice and run on the treadmill 15-20k.
I would like to ask you if you interval training or long runs are more effective in fat loss. I want to drop 3kg and try to combine my diet with the right training method!
Thank you :)
Long runs burn more calories and are therefore "better" for losing weight. However, as for how effective it will be it depends on your definition of "long." In relation to your weekly mileage, 10km would be "long" for you at the moment but that's not really long enough to make much of a dent.

To give you a very rough idea, here's some recent runs I've done with a heart rate monitor:
  • In 5km I burnt roughly 350 calories
  • In 10km I burnt roughly 700 calories
  • In 23km I burnt roughly 1800 calories
Those were all outside and hilly so may not be directly comparable to a treadmill, especially if you don't put any incline on it. For general comparison, a one hour circuits class usually burns around 250 calories.

It's just calories in versus calories out at the end of the day, and running doesn't burn all that many until you get up to around 13+ miles. Personally, I don't notice much difference in my weight until my long runs are around 15 - 20 miles. But I'm not trying to lose weight nor do I pay any attention to what I eat.

·
Administrator
3,083 Posts
Long runs burn more calories and are therefore "better" for losing weight. However, as for how effective it will be it depends on your definition of "long." In relation to your weekly mileage, 10km would be "long" for you at the moment but that's not really long enough to make much of a dent.

To give you a very rough idea, here's some recent runs I've done with a heart rate monitor:
  • In 5km I burnt roughly 350 calories
  • In 10km I burnt roughly 700 calories
  • In 23km I burnt roughly 1800 calories
Those were all outside and hilly so may not be directly comparable to a treadmill, especially if you don't put any incline on it. For general comparison, a one hour circuits class usually burns around 250 calories.

It's just calories in versus calories out at the end of the day, and running doesn't burn all that many until you get up to around 13+ miles. Personally, I don't notice much difference in my weight until my long runs are around 15 - 20 miles. But I'm not trying to lose weight nor do I pay any attention to what I eat.
Correct in all that you say but I would add that
1. While a 10K run will burn around 700 cals directly, there's a knock-on effect of a raised metabolism that continues throughout the day to burn excess calories, more than you would burn if sedentary all day and
2. The fact that you are doing sport at all means that how your body sees and treats carbs is different (in a positive way) to that of a sedentary individual.

I would also offer that 300cals of healthy fresh food (say breast of chicken) is far better than 300cals of energy taken in from processed food - say cake. The reason is the Thermic Effect of Food - your body has to do work to digest healthy food and this costs or burns calories. The chicken mentioned above, of the 300kcals taken in, the body may burn 80 of those calories just in order to digest the portion so ythe net calories available to the body may be just 220 whereas if you eat 300kcals of cake then thebody doesn't need to work all that hard to burn these so the body sees a net gain of the full 300.
(Add to this the fact that the body processes sugar in exactly the smae way as alcohol - what isn't burnt is turned to fat and stored around the gut)

Finally, most athletes are instinctively conscious of what they eat so they tend to eat better and burn better - the moral of the story? - eat better, move more and you're on a good road!

·
Registered
7 Posts
(First post)
I started Keto and then started running after a small pause of 50 years, really.
The way I look at it: pre-loading with carbs, maybe you can get 2000 kCal into your system before a race, to be used as energy and thus being used up by about 23 -25 Km. So maybe OK for a half marathon.
In a state of ketosis (that is your body has become adapted to burning fat for energy) you should have glycogen sufficient for 5 marathons available, some people do this.
Anyway at 71, I can run 15 Km without feeling the need to start licking at gels and all the other stuff that the sports industry pushes at race meets. I electrolyte up, take a coffee and run on an empty stomach and after evacuating my bowels, breakfast comes when I get back.
Another thing: going Keto reduces inflammation, which helps a lot at any age, and not just in the knees and legs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts