Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Based on a 2000 calorie intake per day I think 56g(according to Anita Bean) but think healthy fats rather than fats from chocolate, crisps. Some fats are essential like those contained in oily fish. Most foods will have some fat in them.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
But steer well clear of all trans or hydrogenated fat/oil... it's evil stuff

However, I always look at fat content and choose low or 'good' fat, but I've just found out that I have high cholesterol! But I have a suspicion that it's due to my under-active thyroid condition, and the fact that the GP didn't get my meds dosage correct.

Nellie... if you make sure you always opt for low fat foods, with maybe the occasional small treat, you won't go far wrong ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks girls I knew you could help.

I am going to a Healthy for Life Weight Management programme for 6 weeks and we have to keep a food diary for one week. Then the info is put into some computer programme and he can then tell us what our diet is lacking etc. but i'm wanting to make immediate changes myself, so if I stay to 5g or below then I should be ok?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Watch out for some low fat foods tho as they add in extra sugars to make them taster nicer. Do you know your daily calorie intake?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You can also change the way you cook food as well to cut down the fat content i.e. grilling, dry frying. If you use mince (even a lean one) dry fry it first then drain off the fat.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
1500 is about right, that is what I would base myself on when I dieted and lost 10lbs (without exercise) but bare in mind that you are also running so make sure you don't go with out, as already said watch out for anything that has sweetners in them, including drinks...

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am also trying to lose about 6 or 7 pounds, but I have just scoffed half a Terry's Choccie Orange and am now beating myself up about it.....and I haven't even run today to 'earn it'!!!

Good Luck. Don't forget to eat enough of the 'right fats' omega 3 and 6 or your brain will go like mine!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I've still got 1.5 stone to lose but I'm hoping that I break the 12 stone barrier this week. I'm not sure if the big bag of Doritos or bag of aero bubbles will have helped. There's not point in beating yourself up Bagpuss weight loss is sometimes one step forward and two steps back. All you can do is try again.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Bagpuss said:
I am also trying to lose about 6 or 7 pounds, but I have just scoffed half a Terry's Choccie Orange and am now beating myself up about it.....and I haven't even run today to 'earn it'!!!

Good Luck. Don't forget to eat enough of the 'right fats' omega 3 and 6 or your brain will go like mine!
We are all allowed to go off the rails every now and then and besides, a little of what you like won't do you any harm, plus the more you tell yourself you can't have it the more you want it, so have it don't feel bad as you know later on in the week those legs of yours will be pounding the streets. :d

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thanks TT and SE. I then went on to have a very large Jack Daniels, which didn't help much.

But today is another day, albeit MONDAY, bit grumpy and tired this morning, but I am hoping to run later, run off some of my frustration!

Cheers,

Lyn.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Cadburys cream egg + waffles and syrup for Breakfast here.

I wonder why I can't shift that remaining 2 stone :p

Bagpuss, don't worry about it, besides, don't some Doctors recommend JD for medical reasons. :asleep:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
twinkle toes said:
We are all allowed to go off the rails every now and then and besides, a little of what you like won't do you any harm, plus the more you tell yourself you can't have it the more you want it, so have it don't feel bad as you know later on in the week those legs of yours will be pounding the streets. :d

That's just what I needed to hear... having lost 7 pounds in 4 weeks I went 'off the rails' this weekend... the post race cakes yesterday were soooo tempting that Rich and I ended up having 5... each plus a small piece of the free cake that was made to celebrate the race's 25th anniversary

Then later Rich forced... yes, forced me to have some Galaxy chocolate....with a beer! I didn't stand a chance... sigh

So I'm back on track today...Special K with skimmed milk (white water) for breakfast :rolleyes:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well, following on from this mornings grumpy, feeling fat state (not to mention the liver) I have just come back from a hard 5 miler, not tough in distance, but hilly and against the wind the last 3 miles home. Got wet, muddy, blown to bits, sciatica now playing up, but christ do I feel a whole lot better!.....people look at you like you are mad when they pass you in there nice warm cars, miles from anywhere, but I bet they don't feel as good as I do now!

Is there something wrong with us?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bagpuss said:

I think my brain has gone already ....off to the weight management class tonight with my food diary for the week, so I will let you know how I get on. I have noticed from keeping a diary for a week that I am a snacker!!!! I don't actually eat anything substantial but snack through out the day and I also drink far far too many cups of coffee 5 - 6 on average!!! Anyway I did 30 minutes on the Cross Trainer and 10 minutes on the treadmill this morning at 6.30 am so its not all bad......

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Didn't lose any weight this week so didn't break the 12 stone barrier but at least didn't put any on after my crisp and chocolate fest.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts