Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can see from posts on another thread that some of you have been wondering whether i made it round my 1st half-marathon in one piece so i am glad to reports that rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

I have to be honest and say that although i never expected to break the 2hr mark i was a litle bit disappointed to only manage 2hr 24m. still, it gives me plenty of room for imporovement in the future i suppose and i am pleased that i never actually walked at any point unlike so many others round about me.

as i expected i made it round the first 8 or so miles fairly comfortably but i did struggle both mentally and physically through the 9-11 section. i then got a bit of a second wind and the last couple of miles weren't as painful as i expected them to be.

overall i enjoyed the day and feel quite chuffed that i now have a half marathon under my belt even if it was a slow time. i wondered if my enthusiasm for getting out training would diminish a bit once the big day was over but i actually find the opposite to be the case so thats all good too.

how did the other scottish runners find it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ps i forgot to say thanks to everyone on here for their pre-race encouragement

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
BIG WELL DONE, it is no easy task and even better that you have not been put off running, so heres to the next one ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
well done indeed Nikstein... I know I found miles 9-11 the hardest in my first few halfs, it's kind of no mans land - you've been going for a long time, but you still have a fair way to go until the finish!

One important thing to take away from it all is that you were able to re-assess your goals and be realistic with your expectations. A good start, and now you can look to try and break the 2hr barrier in your next few events ;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Brilliant Nick. Well done

What`s next...??

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well done Nick. There's really no need to be disappointed with about your time - you'll have loads more opportunities to beat it in the future

·
Registered
511 Posts
Way to go Nick, you've now got something under your belt that no-one can ever take away. You've RUN a half marathon.

As for the time, it doesn't matter, just think how good its going to feel posting on here in a few weeks about smashing your Half PB :d

Also thanks on a personal note as it gives me some hope and inspiration for when I play 'Beat the Sweep Coach' in Angelesey soon.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well Done Nick

My first half I went off too quick for the first 3 miles, i only really get warmed up after 5 miles so i really have to push myself. The last mile for me on my first was a killer and it was on grass :s this pulled my legs down even harder eek.... i am hoping to beat my time of 2:06 as set in my first on 5th October but if i dont i know i will have other opportunities and on that day it just was not meant to be :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brilliant Nick. Well done

What`s next...??

i'm not entirely sure. thinking about trying to get a place on the Paris half marathon (early March) when entries open next week.

not sure that I will be entering any races over the winter, partly because i don't think there are many. i will be continuing to train though because my goals for 2009 are;

a. to do at least one half marathon and get my time down to around 2:15
b. to get my official 10k PB down to a bit from the current 55mins.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i'm not entirely sure. thinking about trying to get a place on the Paris half marathon (early March) when entries open next week.

not sure that I will be entering any races over the winter, partly because i don't think there are many. i will be continuing to train though because my goals for 2009 are;

a. to do at least one half marathon and get my time down to around 2:15
b. to get my official 10k PB down to a bit from the current 55mins.
Nik, you should do the Men's 10k at Bellahouston, a little congested at the start in the park, but as good a course as you'll get for getting your PB down as it's pretty flat. And well done on doing your first half, something that still lies ahead for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nik, you should do the Men's 10k at Bellahouston, a little congested at the start in the park, but as good a course as you'll get for getting your PB down as it's pretty flat. And well done on doing your first half, something that still lies ahead for me.
i might well do it next year. i would have done it this year but the date co-incided with the final race in the Polaroid 10k's and that series is close to my heart coz they were the first races i ever did. hopefully the dates will allow me to do both events next year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts