Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back about pains I was getting while running for the first time in years, Various members told me this would pass and to make sure I got some decent running shoes. Well most of the pains have now passed but the one thing that just won'ty is a stitch while running. I do 5 a side, squash and nothing, but when I run it comes everytime without fail. Usually after a mile and I have to stop, just come back from a 3 mile run and had to stop 4 times. I have googled 'STITCH' and took all the advice and nothing is working.

As I am trying to build up to running at a club and onto races this is becoming so frystrating, I am having to stop before I am even tired and I really feel like giving up.

Has anyone any advice?

Paul

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Sorry if this is repeating earlier advice, but have you gone on a run and really slowed the pace down and then seen how you felt.

Have you experimented by running at different times of the day and tried different foods before a run ?

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi Paul.
I used to have big problems with stitches despite having done other sports before and rarely suffering from that then.

Then one day I was watching a track meeting on TV and the great Paul Koech was in the lead, at a killer pace, on a 10,000m race.
Suddenly he grabbed the side of his torso and it was clear that he was suffering from a sitch.
And then he did something that I have since tried with almost 100% success (also other runners with whom I train/race have felt better using this technique).

So you could see Paul Koech breathing out harder and in a more prolonged way (I hope this makes sense as I can't find the exact word to describe it).
In our lungs we have something called residual air which is there but not used with our normal (even when running) breathing action.
I later read somewhere that something about this residual air can cause side stitches.
So the trick is to try to breath some of that out, force it out.
I can assure you it's a bit painful and seems to worsen the stitch while you do it but persist because a few seconds/1 minute later you should be feeling good again.

If you have some doubt about this, breath out normally now. Hold it and now expell even more air from your lungs. Where did it come from? It's that residual air.

I hope I wasn't too confusing.
I am always thankful to Paul Koech when I have a stitch :d

Of course this won't help if you are making some big mistake like for me would be eating right before running.
So check also Granty's suggestions because from what I hear thre are quite a few "misterious" causes to stitches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts