Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Feeling a bit discouraged at the moment:confused: I was running for about 30 to 45 minutes each time I went out and was covering about 3 miles... but I was getting pain in my legs and felt so slow and didn't seem to be getting any further...so after reading everything I could lay my hands on about running I decided to take a step back and started following a programme for a 5K which involved a lot of walking in the first few weeks.... I started the programme at the running stage and am now doing 1.5 x 3 to 4 times per week but feel I am going backwards and not forwards....did I do the right thing or should I have kept pushing myself?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Don't push yourself as your body has to become conditioned to running as it puts a lot of stresses and strains on your joints and tendons. Walk/run programmes are excellent for this. Are you still getting pains in your legs is so where?

Maybe you could try increasing the duration of your running but take a walk break to recover - maybe run 3 mins and walk 2 mins or runs 5 mins walk 1 min and gradually build your way up but let your body guide you.

Its supposed to be enjoyable - I know when I started on run/walk it was hard to see how I was progressing but if I looked back to where I started from I could see that it was really working.

I'm currently recovering from some injuries but when I start running again I will be back to walk/running for a while.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that

The pains are really just aches from using my muscles and have settled now I am running less distance. I always thought that if you started walking you were cheating!!!ha ha don't know why or cheating who!!

I love my runs and look forward to being able to run further and faster....I will take on board what you have said and give myself a walk break

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You will get faster but you need to build your endurance base first and thats all about spending time on your feet, which includes walking as well as running.

I think you are doing really well and at least you are getting out there and doing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keep plodding! I have felt like I've been going backwards all season! I didn't really know why but suddenly things are coming together and I've not changed anything! In retrospect I reckon it was the fact I was doing exams, starting new job etc. I think sometimes we under estimate how every day life can affect our running...but the moral of the story is DONT GIVE UP!! And give yourself a break. Like Steady Edwina says, at least you're out there doing something! It'll all suddenly fall into place...:d

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just to prove that the advice here is true - here is my little story of success.

When i first started running three weeks back, i could barely run 100 yards without being out of breath and my legs caving in.

The first time i went out i felt a right loser, and almost never carried on training.

I'd just kicked a 40 a day habit and my lungs were a mess.

Now, its only 3 weeks on, but after swimming, rowing, cycling etc at the gym, not to mention the 3 nights a week ive been running.. on thursday last i finally noticed the real difference. I went down the usual way i go, and realised that i was where i normally stop, and i felt ok.. so i figured i'd press on a little until i hit that usual stopping point.

Well, i got to the edge of the cycle track, and still i felt ok, not great, but ok- i knew i could continue albeit at a far reduced pace.. so i took a wee walk break (fast walK), and when i felt a bit better, broke into a slow jog.. i ended up doing a full circuit of the block...

The final 1/2 mile, was the worse, my legs were aching, i could feel the burn in them, first time in ages.. i actually felt the warmth coming off them, and my lungs were crying out.

I slowed to a fast walk, then a normal walk, then a slow walk and before long was at my front door. I did my cool down stretches etc and felt very impressed.

I checked on the map, and it was about 2.5miles.

Now, may not seem a lot, but for myself who'd just kicked a 40 a day habit, and only 3 weeks earlier wasnt able to run 100yards, i feel thats a massive improvement. All achieived by merely spending time on my feet, walking, running, jogging, walking again etc.. :)

Still dont know how on earth im going to manage 26.2mi next year though if im successful.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thats really great good for you...feel totally inspired again....i'm off for another run this morning, thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts