Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask out of interest how many of you have fallen right on there face, while out running.
Iv been very lucky i think in the last 12 months since starting running iv never stacked it, but i went out this morning only been gone 10mins running through some woods and didnt see the tree root in the ground. Yes i went flying onto my hands and knees.
My knee is so bruised i cant bend it without it hurting and its cut as well, grazed up my inside arm and hand what a plonker. Im just lucky it wasnt worse and no one see me, but if they had they might have come to my rescue.
So i carried on my run after a 5min break brushing myself down and checking my self out then got home and sore now, and noone to look after me,feeling a bit delicate now, oh well it had to happen some time hahaha H.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall. I trip up quite often so I know how you feel. Because I run long distances I have developed an ultramarathon shuffle so do not pick up my feet very much. Tree roots, stones, little bumps etc have all brought me down. My worst fall was when running with a heavy rucksac, going down hill fast I tripped over a bramble that was like a trip wire. I fell flat on my face then felt the full impact of the rucksac hitting my back. I lay there totally winded for a long time before limping home.

It takes me about a month to stop running very, very carefully.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, im still sore today, top of my knee cap is cut bruised dont know how i fell on that part and my wrist hurts, must landed hard on it.
Yours sounded worse than mine just glad i didnt have extra baggage thank god!H

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hayley you're not alone, I have fallen over a couple of times now, the very first time I ran on my own as I was used to always running with someone, less than half a mile from my house, I tripped up and hit my cheek, hands and knee all at once plus it was a busy road so my shame was there for everyone to see, the only saving grace was it was under the cover on darkness :d

Second time was ten yards from my house :embarrassed:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Only fallen over once...at FLM in 2000 when someone clipped me from behind in the first mile...going so slow that it didn't cause a problem apart from a red face!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
People have been telling me now after iv fallen and hurt myself, that i should carry my mobile with me when running. But i dont have anywhere to put it, does anyone else carry a phone while running, if so where do you put yours?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
hayley1977 said:
People have been telling me now after iv fallen and hurt myself, that i should carry my mobile with me when running. But i dont have anywhere to put it, does anyone else carry a phone while running, if so where do you put yours?
Hi there Hayley,
Join the club! I'm always falling. So much so my partner is always worried what state I'm going to be in when I get back from a long run. Occasionally when running long distances through wild country, particularly in winter when the rivers are running high, I'll carry a mobile. This goes in my bum-bag, a lightweight thing from Pete Bland Sports, along with any spare clothing I might take with me. And because I'm a regular faller I nearly always wear gloves to protect my hands.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
hayley1977 said:
It would be wise to have a phone on you, especially if you run alone....doesn't just apply to ladies this. A former, male, club colleague of mine was out running along a river bank a few years back when he was stung by a wasp causing him to suffer anaphalatic (no doubt misspelt!) shock. Fortunately there were people on the river bank able to deal with the situation. You never know therefore when you may need your moby.

In the winter your jacket should have a pocket for the moby...summer runs though require you to wear a waist belt which are, in my mind, somewhat annoying. Maybe some manufacturer will come up with a short that has a pocket big enough to put a small lightweight moby in it.

If you can't take a moby with you make sure you let someone know where you are running and how long you are likely to be.....just in case.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hayley - I carry my mobile in a sort of armband thingy - think it's designed for carrying an MP3 player but works just as well for a phone and stops my mum from worrying about me so much :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GoSlow said:
Hayley - I carry my mobile in a sort of armband thingy - think it's designed for carrying an MP3 player but works just as well for a phone and stops my mum from worrying about me so much :embarrassed:
Thanks for that GoSlow i'll look out for one of those sounds like a good idea h

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Nike do an mobile phone arm band holder approx £10, I have one and use it from time to time, hardly even know its there.

TT

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iv never thought of taking my mobile with me when running, (always thought if some one went after me in the woods id try out run them).haha
But maybe thats not the answer, still got a knee cap fully bruised and cut, glad im not going out any where to posh. No skirts/dressers for me H
thanks for the advice hayley

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ran with a bloke in Guernsey who dragged his feet a lot. He had permanent cuts on his knees. But then I ran into a lampost once. There were these girls on the opposite side of the road.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Taking phone

I can highly recommend taking a mobile I always do. Back in February I was out on a longish run and about eight miles from home I passed out and collapsed in the road:embarrassed: Came on so quick I didn't really have time to react before colapsing ungracefully in an unconsious heap. I have an ICE number on my phone so it was easy for the ambulance crew to let my wife know what had happened, rather embarrasing

·
Registered
123 Posts
hayley1977 said:
Steve Cram's brother tripped and fell on a run, hit his head and unfortunately died. Because he was running away from his normal area and had no ID on him it was days before his relatives were identified. Because of this Steve collaborated with Reebok to produce an ID tag that attaches to your laces. I use my Cramtag to indicate that I am alergic to wasp stings (I carry a anti-histamine pill). You can get one from the website coco.org.uk for a donation to the charity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
haha its annoying at the time but you just have to laugh it off afterwards.

I remember my first trip a year ago. I was with a jogging buddy ( my best friend thank god! ) and came to the end of a foot path to cross the road, and as i crossed over to the other side and back onto the footpath opposite, i miss judged the height of the curb and needless to say, i stacked it propper!!!

i went down hard, especially when i was exhausted. LOL the only thing i did was shout some verbal at myself and told my mate to carry on running and ill catch up!

i got up and carried on jogging and beat the pain away with motivation to finish the jog, but was sore for a few days from it!

I like the ICE idea. ( incase of emergency )

but the thing is if i was in an emergency and i passed my phone to someone, i would assume they'd dial 999 automatically, or find ''home'', ''brother'' ''mum'' ''dad'' ''sister'' ''taxi number'' and use their initiative. without needing ICE. :d

1 - 16 of 16 Posts