Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've done a bit, but I don't train specifically for it, which is probably why I'm not that good. I train primarily for road marathons. Really the only time I've trained specifically for a fell race was the recce runs I did for Chevy Chase in 2018, as it's a long self-nav race.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi!

Has anyone had much experience fell running?

What is the training like compared to road/trail running?

Thanks
All of my running and races are done off road mate. Although I wouldn`t class my self as a fell runner as such, but most of my races tend to take me up into the hills somewhere and are never flat !

I can only speak for myself, but I try to put a lot of off road hills into my every day training and also a variety of terrains too. Which has hopefully conditioned my body to running long distance over a variety of surfaces. Quite often you go from soft / muddy / uneven to bone hard / rocky / uneven.

I also try to incorporate one session of hill sprints into my weekly schedule too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It all depends what you mean by fell running. Long trail races require many hours slogging over hilly terrain. Navigation may be difficult and you need to carry your own stuff in a pack.
The guides races, like at Grasmere etc., are short sharp races. You can practice up hill sprints in most reasonably hilly places. However down hill sprints on rocky ground require a lot of practice to get right together with a disregard for your own well being. The downhills are what makes real fell running almost unique.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts