Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just the past couple of days I have noticed a couple of people talking about fell running....sorry if this is a stupid question but, what is Fell running?

O.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Fell running, also known as mountain running and hill running, is the sport of running and racing, off road, over upland country where the gradient climbed is a significant component of the difficulty. The name arises from the origins of the English sport on the fells of northern Britain, especially those in the Lake District.

Fell races are organised on the premise that contenders possess mountain navigational skills and carry adequate survival equipment as prescribed by the organiser.

Fell running - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:d

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
As Kiwifruit says, it's off-road running over the hills, fells, mountains and moors of Britain - or wherever. In your part of the world it's governed by Scottish Hill Runners: Scottish Hill Runners :: Home
The overall ruling body is the Fellrunners Association who, in my opinion, produce the best running magazine in the world - The Fellrunner.
Also, if you can find it in your local library, get hold of a copy of Richard Askwith's 'Feet in the Clouds' - as mentioned by Man Relaxed in another thread.
Cheers!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
...in the wild wide open spaces where larks pour out their songs overhead and Sandpipers flit along the chortling mountain streams, where deer canter over the ridge ahead of you and grouse explode from the heather - and not a bleedin' garmin in sight!
Cheers!

:d im picturing a scene from bambi

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds amazing but don't think I will be doing anything like this for a while, my map reading isnt very good. :)
Thanks for the link to the scottish hill runners site, added to my favourites :)

O.

·
Registered
376 Posts
A fell runner is typically a small older guy with calves that are basically a mixture of knots and varicose veins and muscle that wouldn't look out of place on a Tour-de-France winner. He'll be about seventy and hard as nails, wearing a vest and shorts in conditions where other mountaineers are carring ice-axes and crampons. He'll approach out of the rain/mist/blizzard just as you collapse at the summit of a damn great mountain you've just spent three hours staggering up. He'll give you a cheery 'Mornin!' as you and your mates look at each other and think 'Is this bloke for real?'. He could well be on his third summit of the day. You'll mutter an embarrassed 'Morning' back to him and hope his legs drop off.

Amazing. He might very well go by the moniker RunningFox...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
A fell runner is typically a small older guy with calves that are basically a mixture of knots and varicose veins and muscle that wouldn't look out of place on a Tour-de-France winner. He'll be about seventy and hard as nails, wearing a vest and shorts in conditions where other mountaineers are carring ice-axes and crampons. He'll approach out of the rain/mist/blizzard just as you collapse at the summit of a damn great mountain you've just spent three hours staggering up. He'll give you a cheery 'Mornin!' as you and your mates look at each other and think 'Is this bloke for real?'. He could well be on his third summit of the day. You'll mutter an embarrassed 'Morning' back to him and hope his legs drop off.Amazing. He might very well go by the moniker RunningFox...
Exactly - apart from the varicose veins!
Cheers!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
A fell runner is typically a small older guy with calves that are basically a mixture of knots and varicose veins and muscle that wouldn't look out of place on a Tour-de-France winner. He'll be about seventy and hard as nails, wearing a vest and shorts in conditions where other mountaineers are carring ice-axes and crampons. He'll approach out of the rain/mist/blizzard just as you collapse at the summit of a damn great mountain you've just spent three hours staggering up. He'll give you a cheery 'Mornin!' as you and your mates look at each other and think 'Is this bloke for real?'. He could well be on his third summit of the day. You'll mutter an embarrassed 'Morning' back to him and hope his legs drop off.

Amazing. He might very well go by the moniker RunningFox...
I watched a film once of a free climber. He set of up a climb aiming to do in a few hours what would take a mortal a day. At one point he passed a team of three climbers, roped with every piece of technology available. Said hello and carried on past them.

That image has stayed with me to this day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts