Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a pair of fell shoes, as I seem to be doing more off-road, multi terrain running.
Anyone used 'New Balance RX' or 'Walsh PB' fell shoes...?

What do you think of them...?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wear NB RX terrain for XC's and the little fell running that I've done. They are very comfortable and I'm very happy with them. MAke sure you try some on properly, mine are very snug so as not to fall off in bad conditions (I did Tough Guy in them and had no probs at all in all that mud, unlike the previous year!)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I use New Balance RX Terrains for nearly all my off-road running and racing. So far I've gone through about seven pairs. I buy them from the factory shop when passing through Shap village on my way to the Lake District. As someone said, it's very important to try them on and walk around in them before you buy. I normally wear size 9½ - but not all 9½'s are the same!
Walsh's are OK too and lots of people swear by them, but RX Terrains have a little bit more midsole which my old bones appreciate.
Cheers!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got mine from the NB factory shop too RF, I tried on a friends new unworn pair which fitted a treat so ordered them over the phone. Great service from them.

I've got quite a few mates who run or have run in Walshes. Most of them have complained the sole falls off too easily and 2 have had their feet go through mid race!!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
hammerite said:
I got mine from the NB factory shop too RF, I tried on a friends new unworn pair which fitted a treat so ordered them over the phone. Great service from them.
I've got quite a few mates who run or have run in Walshes. Most of them have complained the sole falls off too easily and 2 have had their feet go through mid race!!
I used to wear Walsh's regularly when Norman Walsh was making them, but when he retired and someone else took over they seemed to deteriorate in quality. In the past I've had Walsh's re-soled a couple of times before throwing them away, but nowadays the uppers seem to wear away first making re-soling impossible.
So I changed to New Balance and have been quite happy with them.
Incidentally, I've heard a rumour that RX Terrains will shortly be going off the market - so I bought two pairs last time I was in the factory shop.
Cheers!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wear Inov8. Mudclaws are severe fell/hill running shoes and are more like football mouldies than running shoes, but offer unbelievable grip on moderate to severe muddy conditions. On the flip side, they are crap on rock/scree. I also have a pair of Inov8 mudrocs which are a little less severe with a little more cusioning and ideal for a broader range of conditions. Up here in the Bonnie Land it has been the mudclaws that have been getting the most use recently!!!! The hills/tracks and trails around me have been bogs for that last 4 or 5 months!! Happy days :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to my local running shop today and tried on loads of fell shoes. Ended up with a pair of Innov 8's.
Mudroc 290' good fit and felt right.
Looking forward to my next 'mud run'. I may even try them for cross country, this coming week-end...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Runningfox said:
I used to wear Walsh's regularly when Norman Walsh was making them, but when he retired and someone else took over they seemed to deteriorate in quality. In the past I've had Walsh's re-soled a couple of times before throwing them away, but nowadays the uppers seem to wear away first making re-soling impossible.
So I changed to New Balance and have been quite happy with them.
Incidentally, I've heard a rumour that RX Terrains will shortly be going off the market - so I bought two pairs last time I was in the factory shop.
Cheers!
That's a shame. Unfortunately (as in I'd like to do more fell/XC) I probably only do around 50 miles in mine per year so mine will last me a while yet.

Will be disappointed when I eventually have to replace them though if I can't still by them

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought Walshes can be resoled. So you should never have to get rid of them unless the uppers give in.

Dale, the inov8's are ideal for XC....have a good one.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Boab said:
I thought Walshes can be resoled. So you should never have to get rid of them unless the uppers give in.

Dale, the inov8's are ideal for XC....have a good one.
Whilst that may be the case, I know 2 guys who have run races in walshes and the soles have come off in the middle of the race (one was 10 miles into a 17 mile fell race!). Doesn't fill you with confidence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts