Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and on a quest to find some information on a current injury that I am recovering from.

I am a 30 year old and was previously training for a potential Royal Marine recruit selection test that was held at the end of Oct, the nuts and bolts of it is basically I went from no running to running like a mentalist in the space of about five months.

Two months ago after a rather fast 4 mile run I experienced severe pain in my left hip. I had massive loss of strength in the leg and walked with a pronounced limp. After a chemical bone scan and an MRI and X-ray I was diagnosed with a femoral neck stress fracture (compression type) underside so no pinning required. Thank god.

I have been recovering well and the majority of the pain has now subsided. The limp has gone and I feel much better. A recent x-ray showed that the fracture has pretty much healed and I am hoping when I see the Orthopaedic Hip Surgeon early Dec that he will say that I can return to light running.

Please accept my apologies for the long post but wanted to give the full picture. The question that I have and I hope somebody can help is this; will I ever be able to fully recover from this injury and get back to serious running so I can follow my rather late dream of joining the Royal Marines? Or is this the type of injury a recurring one that could happen again with a higher risk of a tension fracture or displacement which could have serious implementations.

After searching the web I have found plenty of information on getting back to running post stress fracture but haven’t heard any full recovery success stories. You see, I managed to stress fracture my femoral by just running in trainers, not boots or carrying any weight!

This is quite an uncommon injury to get. Just my luck!

Any comments on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi,

The only comment I could give is that my brother fractured a small bone in the top of his spine / neck (afraid I can't be more specific as it was a while ago). at the time he was a keen runner / cricketer and footballer. Although he made a recovery, he has had to give up a number of sports that he use to play, cricket in particular. It seems like when he really pushes himself during exercise he feels discomfort but going for a 'jog' and he feels fine.

Presumably there are people that will give you expert advice on this??, the army being one I imagine.

Hope it works out for you !!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts