Runners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've been running for a few years but have had all sorts of injuries, so I'm only just getting into a good 'rhythm' and running uninterrupted, although I'm not actually training for a specific race atm. I'm really keen to build up my distances, but I'm struggling to get past about 10 miles on my long runs. At the moment I do one long run (10/11 miles) and around 3 shorter runs (usually 4-6 miles each) every week, as well as a couple of good strengthening sessions. I don't do much in the way of speed training, and generally just run at whatever pace comes naturally to me each time I go out - I'm really not that bothered about times.
My problem is that I'm really struggling to add miles to my long run: after around 9 miles my legs just get so tired that I can only bang out another couple of miles at the most. I can feel my form really start to slip (I've had to work really hard to get my cadence up and it can dip when I get tired) and even stopping to do a few stretches or a couple of mins of walking doesn't really help that much. I don't think it's a fuelling issue, as I usually take a couple of gels to see me to 10 miles (as a petite female I find I have to take on calories when I run for more than an hour).
I'd be so grateful for any tips anyone has for adding miles to long runs! I've been running weekly 10-mile long runs for about 8 months now so I'd really like to make some progress. I know that mental strength counts for so much with long-distance running, but if anyone has any suggestions for how to deal with the 'heavy legs' stage I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks in advance for any help :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

It sounds like you've thought about all the angles. I've only been running myself for about 18 months but...

• what happens if you do run past 10/11 miles?
  • could you be over fuelled? is that a thing? I generally only take gels if i'm running past 13 miles and even then my first is at 6 so 2 gels by mile 10 seems a lot
  • are you drinking enough? especially for the temperature this time of year
  • are you wearing the right kit and your trainers not worn out?
  • do you run with someone to help distract or motivate?

Personally I ran my new distance for about 3 weeks before extending again. It was always hard the first time but I would soon get used to it. I followed the general advice out there about easy weeks and only increasing weekly mileage by 10% each time. So overall I've not had this experience so don't know what this could be or how to solve but hope my questions help...

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts