Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been suffering with sore shins for months now so finally took the advice that has been written down on here countless times and went to Advance Performance in Peterborough.

Really glad I went, the service was great and very professional. Six pairs of shoes and six goes on the treadmill later I came away with a pair of Mizuno Wave Alchemy 7. I overpronate which was good news as it could explain the problems I've been having with my shins.

The thing is, I also do a lot of off road running, mostly on public footpaths or trails but I do tend to get quite muddy and I'm not sure these shoes will be up to the job. The uppers feel very light and look like they will rip apart if I went off road and put any real strain on them. Does anyone know of a similar shoe that I could use off-road? If I overpronate, do I need to take this into consideration with off-road shoes? I don't really want to go back to the shop and get my gait analysed again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
There are loads of shoes to correct pronation; something like 40% of runners pronate. Certainly there will be off-road shoes that support your feet correctly. But I don't know any :s

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
at a guess I'd say it was perhaps a little less important for off-road shoes, as the ground tends to be more forgiving... Call teh place where you had the gait assessment done, say you'd been in to buy some road trainers, that you overpronate, and what can they suggest for the mud?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Congrats on taking the plunge.

Why not just use your new trainers and see if all your problems disappear. Does it really matter is you wreck them in a short while. Great excuse to buy some more. :d

·
Banned
2,297 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Everyone pronates, it's a question of whether you pronate enough, too little or too much. Pronation is the inwards roll of the foot on contact with the ground and this helps to absorb the shock of impact. Approx 60-70% of the population over-pronate and so need some level of support in the shoe to help control the over-pronation.

As Richard suggests, if you are running off-road, the level of support in the shoe is not as important due to the fact that the ground will be less even and you might not get consistent footstrikes. Having said that, if you have been recommended the Wave Alchemy then that is a fairly high level support shoe so your off-roaders will still probably need some structure to them. I think the Mizuno Wave Ascend has some support (not absolutely certain) so best bet as HRun says, is to ring Advanced Performance and ask for their advice on appropriate shoes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been suffering with sore shins for months now so finally took the advice that has been written down on here countless times and went to Advance Performance in Peterborough.

Really glad I went, the service was great and very professional. Six pairs of shoes and six goes on the treadmill later I came away with a pair of Mizuno Wave Alchemy 7. I overpronate which was good news as it could explain the problems I've been having with my shins.

The thing is, I also do a lot of off road running, mostly on public footpaths or trails but I do tend to get quite muddy and I'm not sure these shoes will be up to the job. The uppers feel very light and look like they will rip apart if I went off road and put any real strain on them. Does anyone know of a similar shoe that I could use off-road? If I overpronate, do I need to take this into consideration with off-road shoes? I don't really want to go back to the shop and get my gait analysed again.

Thanks.
Hi,

I also do alot of off road running and although these are ok to run off road with they are not really suitable to run off road in, especially having a mesh upper. You can buy off road shoes with a supportive block in but generally most off road shoes will be suitable for the over - pronater since the sole is alot firmer than the sole of a road shoe. Saucony shoes are vey good for both on/off road runner since the sole is designed to go off road aswell. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent, thanks for that. Just looked up Saucony and I've found the Grid Omin 5 Trail Shoe which is for moderate over-pronators.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts