Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randomly decided to do a 13.1 mile run today and took 9 mins off my time (ran the distance once before around xmas). I was aiming to run a sub 1hr 30min, but ended up running it in 1hr 25 min 50 sec. I'd been training at 30 -40 miles a week the past month so i think I had the stamina. I just felt good today. Surprisingly, I hadn't run for a couple of days and last night ate a lot of junk food and drank beer. I think this helped me run faster ;) I guess my next goal should be to run a sub 1hr 25 or perhaps, dare I say it, a sub 1hr 20.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran around 6min 30sec/mile pace. It was pretty evenly run, but the last 3 miles i did in just under 21 minutes, because I was shattered. My legs are really sore.

I didn't run the Edi half this weekend. I might do a small event race in the spring to spur me to run a bit faster, but I generally just like to compete against myself and run solo. Today I only planned to run 10 miles but once I'd done that in 64 minutes (4 mins faster than I had before) i decided to add another 3 miles just to see. I'm glad I did. I feel really good :)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Good going JB. If you do give it a shot in an event you might find that you'll improve your time further as the other runners around you could have a positive effect.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Awesome result :d Wish I could run that fast.

Now, how much more do you reckon you could shave off in race conditions?? :cool:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Katten said:
Awesome result :d Wish I could run that fast.

Now, how much more do you reckon you could shave off in race conditions?? :cool:
I reckon I could dip below 1 hour 20mins if I trained a bit harder and just went for it, but it gets more and more difficult to push further. I mean I felt relatively comfortable for about 10/11 miles running at 6.30 pace but if I had gone much faster I think it would have hurt a lot. To break the 1 hr 20min barrier, I'm going to have to run consistently at close to 6 min dead pace. I think I could do it in theory, but that's pretty tough. That's a whole new level of running and I don't think I'm that fanatical. Interestingly, on the run I did last night, I shattered my 10k, 8 mile and 10 mile bests along the way. My next immediate goal is to get under 18 mins for 5k :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
6-minute miles for more than about 2 miles is getting pretty hardcore... But you never know, nice that you are improving so much at the moment JB!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Owain said:
Where do you run in Edinburgh? I tend to just go round the meadows at my lunch break but plan on running up and around arthurs seat when I come back from holiday :d

O.

I tend to run from Leith to Crammond, along the shoreline. Once you get past the industrial estates it's really pretty. It's also relatively flat. a lot of people run along there, and there will be more once the nights get a bit longer. Arthur's seat is a great place to run. I did 4 laps around there just before xmas and it's a really good workout. Pretty tough, but you feel great afterwards. one lap of Arthur's seat (starting from the car park near the duck pond) is 3.3miles if you are interested in measuring your time and distance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts