Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its three weeks Saturday since I moved house and only just got internet back on. I have still been going out running early mornings, but dont seem to have any energy still. I know I have been busy with the move, and only just getting straight, dont seem to have any relaxation time,but need to keep up with the running. Just feel like I am going backwards and finding it harder and harder, just dont have any energy at all. Have been very stressed as nothing seems to be going right in my life lately, maybe that is the problem. Just need to encouragement please. :d

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Just make that first move out the door Karen, once you've got out you'll soon get back into it. Maybe take it nice and slow at first, don't over do it:)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I agree, if you stand on your doorstep in your running gear you'd look pretty bloody stupid just going back in so you'd be aswell go out and get sweaty. And maybe have a run too!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're struggling Karen, moving is stressful in itself but when you have other things going on too it can really bring you down.

Try and look at running as a relief from everything else, rather than adding to it. It's the one constant thing when everything else is changing around you.

It's time out for you ((()))

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Try thinking of your running time as your relaxation time. That way you can look forward to it instead of seeing it as another drain on your time.

Easy runs and explore your new area (assuming you have moved some distance)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
some advice:

1) decide on when you can run (like a running timetable), pin it to the wall and stick to it

2) make a log - it will show how much you've progressed

3) have a goal - e.g. running a certain distance per week is a good one

this is pretty basic advice and it may be obvious to you - but it helped me !

tbh, i think the secret is keeping at it... rome wasn't build in a day - it is very easy to think you are getting nowhere but most of this time you are improving slowly and just don't notice it... having a log is helpful because you can look back on how you were a month ago and you realise that you have improved... most of the faster runs i've done i feel terrible on whereas the comfortable runs where i feel good are slow ones - so often how you feel after a run is the opposite of how you've done... i hope that makes sense...

good luck :) !

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
what about making a real effort to go first thing on a weekend and then have a nice relaxing bath for as long as needed, get out before anything else has a chance to get in the way.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Some very good points to take on board here Karen... As has been said, try not to see running as a chore - it should hopefully be a nice chance to get away from things and let you clear your mind a little...

If you really are struggling with it that much, maybe take a few days break? I mean, it is ultimately your choice, nobody is forcing you to run ;)

As revenged has said - try making a log so you can see how you're progressing. It may feel like you're getting nowhere and that things are getting harder and harder all the time, when in reality it could just be that you're running faster without realising? lol!

Goals are aways a great motivator :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Karen,
sorry to hear you're struggling a bit - it's an awful feeling when you're putting the effort in and feeling like you're getting nowhere. It is good though, however hard it seems, that you have kept it up rather than give it up. Perhaps, like somebody said earlier, you should run first thing on a morning when you can, especially with the lighter mornings now. If you've got so many other things to do in the day it might play on your mind if you leave it until last and then perhaps that's why it might be more like a chore. I find when I'm snowed under with everything at work and home that if you get up early to do your run it will give you the feeling of controlling your busy day and being organised and also, the last thing on the list is relaxation. Good luck and keep it going :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
sorry to say but I slightly disagree with the replies

These sound like classic over training symptoms.

Stressfull life event coupled with little energy or motivation but still wanting to force yourself out of the door

Do you take any body index figures like morning resting heart rate or body weight?

Have these shown any alteration? I would guess your morning HR is up 10-15 bpm and you may have lost a bit of weight

It may be that you need to have a recovery time and recharge your batteries

why not go for a walk instead, go swimming,

Your body isn't a machine

·
Registered
147 Posts
Karen Edmunds said:
Well its three weeks Saturday since I moved house and only just got internet back on. I have still been going out running early mornings, but dont seem to have any energy still. I know I have been busy with the move, and only just getting straight, dont seem to have any relaxation time,but need to keep up with the running. Just feel like I am going backwards and finding it harder and harder, just dont have any energy at all. Have been very stressed as nothing seems to be going right in my life lately, maybe that is the problem. Just need to encouragement please. :d
have a read through this

http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/general/3409-state-mind-personal-admin.html#post47660

long winded but i think it might help

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Karen, the other day I was at work and during our breaks we have a wee game of two a side football (we've got goals made up and pitch marked up in the yard) I could bearly lift my legs they felt so heavy (me and my partner still won though) but I was due for a 6 mile run straight after work and really couldn't be bothered. None the less I took off my boilersuit donned my shorts ans trainers. I ran slow and steady certainly never broke any records, but I came to a junction and to turn left would have taken me to my destination in 2 minutes instead I went straight on and added over 1.5 miles and felt great after it.

Get out there slow and steady you wont kill yourself you can slow to a walk if you want but in the end you will feel better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts