Runners Forum banner

First 10k GEAR May 2007

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Runningfox 
#1 ·
Hi

Runningfox suggested a 10k might be a better first race than a 5k, so have bitten the bullet and decided to enter the Great East Anglian Run on 6th May. This will be the first ever race I have done...and I've got six weeks to get ready!

Is anyone else doing this? Any tips for a first timer? What is a respectable finish time? Had a look at last years results and guess a few walked it as came in at 2 hours! So hopefully at least won't be the last, even if dont manage to run all the way.

#2 ·
I have never entered a race and haven't been running for all that long, so I can't give any real advice re: training plans/times etc. But running appears to be about rhythm - breathing, pace etc.

Good luck with the race - let us know your time :)

#3 ·
GoSlow - don't worry, you'll find a real mix of abilities, and I think everyone gets such a buzz from their first event it's a real spur to keep it up. That date is close to my heart as it will be the anniversary of my first event (Great Edinburgh Run, 10K) which I'll be back at this year.

#4 ·
GoSlow said:
Hi

Runningfox suggested a 10k might be a better first race than a 5k, so have bitten the bullet and decided to enter the Great East Anglian Run on 6th May. This will be the first ever race I have done...and I've got six weeks to get ready!

Is anyone else doing this? Any tips for a first timer? What is a respectable finish time? Had a look at last years results and guess a few walked it as came in at 2 hours! So hopefully at least won't be the last, even if dont manage to run all the way.

I joined a running club about 2 months before my first 10km race and it helped me a lot.

Also, when running the race, I made sure I didn't run off to fast at the start of the race. Lots of other people did run too fast at the start and I started passing them about 6-7km into the race. As it was my first race, I tried to keep the effort levels about 6-7, on a scale of 1-10.

#5 ·
good luck with the training but just because some took 2 hrs it doesn't mean they walked, i have only been doing this since December and i run with the occasional walk and took 1hr 50 to do 8miles today, as for effort i was probably on scale 8-9. Some of us are just slow and find it hard. I have my first race in May a Half and if i come sub 3hrs i will be delighted.
OK moan over once again all the best!

#10 ·
Just finished my first 10km race today ( Arkendale - North Yorkshire ), I loved it.

I tried to run at a steady pace as it was my first race but found that I just could not help trying to catch the person in front of me.. I managed to get that under control so as not to burn out too early and found the whole thing very enjoyable, the only down side was that part of the race was over fields and after running on roads I found that very difficult.

Have already entered my next 10km and now I have a PB to aim for ... :rolleyes:

Richard

#15 ·
Good Luck Go Slow, you won't regret entering and you won't forget your first race either !!

Great time RKavanagh, you must have really enjoyed it to enter another already, got to keep them goals in site, ha ha.

I will be doing my first 10k in June, so will be looking forward to that. :eek:

#17 ·
Nice one Richard.

Sub 55 mins next time............

What time you aiming for in your first 10k TT.

How come you`ve never run one before.

#18 ·
What time you aiming for in your first 10k TT.

How come you`ve never run one before.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why I haven't done one before, but it will make a nice change from 1/2 marathons...

Sub 50 would be nice, realistically 51 or 52 mins, but I am not sure of the course and I will have only been back off my holiday a week, so really shouldn't hope for too much, but I will just go out there and blatt myself to bits and see what I can do.

You might be interested yourself it is at Horndon on the Hill?, it is being held there all sorts of other things going on there that day as well, it has been called the Feast and Fayre I think...

Cheers TT

#22 ·
Dave said:
Sub 55 mins next time............
Yeah, aiming high and all that I am aiming for sub 44:30 on the next one. I really suffered on this one in the last two miles as I seemed to run out of energy really quickly, that together with the fact that about a mile of the last two was over fields - it drained me.

So , going to build track and field running into my training program and must look at into to how to get an energy boost for the last two miles or so. ( jellies, gels etc, perhaps ? )

Richard

#23 ·
rkavanagh said:
Yeah, aiming high and all that I am aiming for sub 44:30 on the next one. I really suffered on this one in the last two miles as I seemed to run out of energy really quickly, that together with the fact that about a mile of the last two was over fields - it drained me. So, going to build track and field running into my training program and must look at into to how to get an energy boost for the last two miles or so. ( jellies, gels etc, perhaps ? )
Richard
From 56.03 down to 44.30 is a heck of a chunk. But good for you, you have the right mindset. And if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If you're going on the track you might try 400m intervals @ 1.40 pace (i.e. with 1.40 recovery jog) and see how they feel. If you feel comfortable, start by doing six and gradually work up to twelve. This is about the right pace for a 44.30 10K. If you're struggling then lower the pace to your comfort zone, but you might have to settle for a slower 10K. Don't worry, it will come in time.
If you suffered over the last two miles, you probably got carried away with too fast a pace at the start - though I appreciate grass can sap your energy too. I wouldn't recommend gels, or whatever, for a 10K race. Correct training should give you all the energy you need. I came across a good 10K training programme on Tamar Trotters website which you might like to look at.
Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.