Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been running for about 6 weeks and in a moment of madness entered my first 5km which is in Liverpool on 3rd September. Now the time is getting nearer and I haven't managed the distance yet I'm wondering what a respectable time to finish would be? I'm not out for breaking records but would like to finish eventually :embarrassed:

I'm hoping for a 10-12 min run, 1 min walk routine.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Just enjoy it and as its your first race try not to focus too much on time but on getting round. Don't start off too quickly save some energy for the end.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I was getting a bit ahead of myself thinkning about times. I will be glad just to finish without coming last:p or needing St Johns Ambulance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In a moment of madness I entered a 5K before I really began running, although I was doing a lot of hikes and cycling at the time, afterall I thought kids run about all the time - no problem how hard could it be?! It all became apparent about 2 mins in that it could indeed be hard! You are much wiser and have already done some training and don't worry about not having done the distance you don't with marathon training either, the event takes you through the last bit. I was certainly hooked though after my first fool-hardy experience and really enjoy hill running, which I also thought I'd never manage. That first 5k T-shirt is one of the proudest ones I have and I can still remember every step of it! My time was 35 mins then and now I can get just under 22 min on a good day so whatever your time this time it can only get better from here on in :)

Enjoy x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I'm really looking forward to it. I got my race number yesterday. It certainly gets addictive this running lark.

Jeanette

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I managed it in 36:53. Not under 30mins which was my secret goal but at least I got around. I only had two walking breaks so on the whole I'm happy.

Bring on the next one:p

Jeanette x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts