Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Irony: after all the times Ive moaned about bad drivers etc, I had my first crash earlier, and it was all my fault, not related to a car in the end. I like to think I'm a careful and aware person, but today showed otherwise

Was going down a bridge and changing up to higher gear looking down at the chainring etc, must've accidentally steered to the left slightly and before I knew it I was scraping the curb. I couldn't get out of it after that, and then suddenly went flying, half on the pavement half on the curb

Car behind me slowed down but then drove off. Didn't even ask if I was OK. Older cyclist from other side of road stopped and talked to me which was nice.

No injuries anyways, just a load of cuts and grazes. Could've been so so much worse though. More relieved than anything. So happy, as an injury or broken bone would've been devastating. Probably could've died too if I'd happened to fall on the road instead.

Front wheel completely bent. I had to walk 2.5 miles home with my bike on my shoulder. Not what i wanted to do with lots sore skin. Went down a cul de sac thinking I was smart taking a shortcut, ended up walking further. Bad times.

Was a massive wakeup call though. Got to be more careful in the future. Anything could happen

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Don't get beat up jono, these things happen.
I remember a few years ago I was so concentrating on a slight wobble on my front wheel I smashed into the back of a pa4ked car. Went flying over the bars hurt my pride more than anything.
Hope you're OK mate. CAC :embarrassed:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm glad that it wasn't any worse. Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Could have been worse, glad you're ok.

Spend some time working on skills, bike handling, taking/replacing waterbottle.. and yes shifting gear... you really shouldn't be looking down to do it !

·
Registered
65 Posts
Heh, I did something similar last week. There was a noise coming from my back wheel, I turned to see if there was something lodged in the mudguard. When I looked forwards again I was heading for the verge.

Luckily for me the verge was soft and I was catapulted into a bed of stinging nettles.

My first thought was, did anyone see me? (No :d). My second, upon checking myself and bike over was, 'ow ow ow oooh' as my legs and arms came up in a huge nettle rash. Could have been _much_ worse (lamp post, cars, pedestrians etc).

Anyway, glad you're OK. Bike bits can be easily replaced.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Ouch, Jono!!!!! :'(

Glad you are OK.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At least nobody was hurt. We can all have off days, the best we can do is hold our hands up and try harder to be more careful in the future.
Yeah, could've been so much worse. :tup:

Don't get beat up jono, these things happen.
I remember a few years ago I was so concentrating on a slight wobble on my front wheel I smashed into the back of a pa4ked car. Went flying over the bars hurt my pride more than anything.
Hope you're OK mate. CAC :embarrassed:
Cheers Dave. Yeah, I felt embarrassed walking back carrying a bike with a bent wheel. Was the longest 50mins of my life!

I'm glad that it wasn't any worse. Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks Zoe!

Could have been worse, glad you're ok.

Spend some time working on skills, bike handling, taking/replacing waterbottle.. and yes shifting gear... you really shouldn't be looking down to do it !
You're right! I feel like all of my carefulness to date was undone by that one thing. It's because I have an old bike with gear levers on the frame (as opposed to modern ones near bars/brakes)

Ouch! Glad you're ok Jono. It's so easy to lose concentration isn't it, you forget quite how dangerous cycling can be.
Thanks James. Yeah, I used to feel invincible, but now everything feels dangerous! I may have a curb phobia now :lol:

Heh, I did something similar last week. There was a noise coming from my back wheel, I turned to see if there was something lodged in the mudguard. When I looked forwards again I was heading for the verge.

Luckily for me the verge was soft and I was catapulted into a bed of stinging nettles.

My first thought was, did anyone see me? (No :d). My second, upon checking myself and bike over was, 'ow ow ow oooh' as my legs and arms came up in a huge nettle rash. Could have been _much_ worse (lamp post, cars, pedestrians etc).

Anyway, glad you're OK. Bike bits can be easily replaced.
Ah, sounds similar to what happened to me! I always seem to get stung by nettles through my thick clothes. No idea how they penetrate through like that! Although I hate nettles, I think I'd have preferred them in this case lol.

Ouch, Jono!!!!! :'(

Glad you are OK.
Thanks Fulmar. My left shoulder still hurts, and my hips feel bruised (ironically these may be from trying to carry my bike on my shoulder). I have grazes on my knees and elbows, but the one on my left hip feels sore and taking ages to "heal" :(

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Thanks Fulmar. My left shoulder still hurts, and my hips feel bruised (ironically these may be from trying to carry my bike on my shoulder). I have grazes on my knees and elbows, but the one on my left hip feels sore and taking ages to "heal" :(
Just replied to your other thread. Maybe it's a good thing the race got postponed.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You're right! I feel like all of my carefulness to date was undone by that one thing. It's because I have an old bike with gear levers on the frame (as opposed to modern ones near bars/brakes)
ah.. retro... again shouldn't be a problem with practise tho.

There's a reason why both Furman... & Pfitzinger & Douglas books advise caution with cycling for cross training ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh no, nightmare. Glad you didn't suffer anything too serious. Don't beat yourself up about it - just a reminder to be a bit more careful.

Happens to the best of us. I scraped the kerb with my pedal once when a bus overtook me too close and wiped out - there was a lot of cars around, including stationary traffic waiting at the lights and no one got out to check I was alright - I think that's what upset me the most. Was pretty sore and bent my handlebars. Much more kerb-aware now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts