Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just wanted to share with you that I tried my first attempt at running faster this week. After doing some research, I kept reading that doing speedier sections following by easier ones would make big improvements on my overall speed, so I set off to do 5 mins slow, 5 fast, 5 slow and 5 fast (roughly!).

I was surprised just how fab it felt to really get my legs working. So far, I've only been plodding along at an 11 min plus pace, but I got this under 10, and it felt great. I felt like a proper runner, instead of just pretending. It made me think that one day I might even get myself to a decent speed.

:d

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well done! I haven't attempted much interval training yet, but will try some in the run up to my big race in September. From what I have read a lot of folks on here swear by it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i've started doing some recently and whilst i'm not sure as yet of what impact it'll have on my overall times i would say it adds a bit of variety into my running.

go for it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi
Been doing a bit of this myself recently and, as you say, it feels great to actually feel like you are running rather than jogging! Feels easier too in a way but cannot keep it up for too long. Am going to spend more time doing this on my weekday runs rather than just keep plodding around doing the same thing at the same time. Did my best 'run' today - a cool 3 miles at 11.28 pm. Very slow to most people but an improvement for me -both distance and pace so maybe something in this 'interval training' even at my level!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's definately worth doing, whatever level of runner you are - not only does it help add variation to the training but it teaches your body (and mind) to go faster. :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I start them this wednesday. Treadmill I think.

1k fast, followed by 2 minutes recovery at a gradient, for 5 repetitions.

Does that sound about right to begin with?

Ito.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I would use your recovery time as a recovery time ito... it'd be better for you to drop to 90secs recovery without the gradient - though in reality it's hard to say what difference it would truely make!

What pace are you aiming to do your 1k reps at? what's your current race pace? :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would use your recovery time as a recovery time ito... it'd be better for you to drop to 90secs recovery without the gradient - though in reality it's hard to say what difference it would truely make!

What pace are you aiming to do your 1k reps at? what's your current race pace? :)
That was going to be my first post this morning as I forgot to say last night - my pace would be 13.3km per hour... to hopefully achieve a 45 minute 10k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts