Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm running my first marathon in Edinburgh in May and would be interested in some feedback from any runners who have competed in this marathon before.

In particular I'm unsure of quite what to expect on the day. For example, are there any changing facilities, how do you know where to start, is it wise to meet friends at a particular meeting place at the finish, what happens if you need to pull out of the race, will you be transported to the finish?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Acohen,

I've run the Edinburgh Marathon the previous 3 years, and will be ther again this May.

You needn't have any worries. This is a flat, friendly, well-orgnised race with all of the best facilities you will need. I haven't checked out the course profile for this year (and the website isn't link properly:( ), but I imagine it will be the same as last year. The start is pretty obvious - in Princes Street in the centre of town. You won;t be able to miss it. And if you get lost just ask someone for directions - Scottish people are very friendly and helpful.

I don't believe you will be taken to the end if you fail to finish. There are many marshalls on the route. So, I am sure they will advise a happy ending if you need to get back to the city centre.

At the finish I would advise taking a mobile phone to contact friends. Leave it with your bag at the start and you will be able to collect it at the end. Otherwise you may not fine your friends. I suggest following everyone else to the bus stop and returning to Edinbugh cityy centre - make sure you have some money.

Just remeber, Edinburgh is one of the best marathons. Have fun and enjoy.

S.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Good to hear some feedback from someone who has run Edinburgh, as I'm thinking of entering next year.

The Frankfurt Marathon last year was my first and I would say that you have nothing to worry about on race. My responses to your questions would be:

1. Arrive in plenty of time to get changed, leave your bag in the clockroom, warm up and get to the start line.

2. If in doubt ask - the stewards/race officals should be able to help you out and answer your questions.

3. The are usually designated meeting areas. They generally have letters above them, so you can arrange to meet friends/family at the letter that starts your name.

4. The race info on the website should tell you what to do if you need to pull out, so I would check that.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
The edinburgh marathon course has changed for this year due to the roads being pulled up to place Tram lines on it!

http://www.edinburgh-marathon.co.uk/specific/event/2008mappopup.php

I found the Edinburgh marathon website doesnt work if your using Firefox browser! Internet Explorer works fine though.

I will be taking part in the full marathon this year as well, really looking forward to it. Just completed the Edinburgh 1/2 marathon today :d

O.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not taking part in the marathon (hopefully within the next few years) but I have just signed up for the water station on the Kings Road so I'll give you all a wee wave as you go by :d

Oh and some water too if you want it...

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Excellent :) Water is good :)

Im starting to panic a wee bit now that I wont be ready for the full marathon in time! Heading out tonight for a run though so that will hopefully convince me that Im close.....

O.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That looks like a good route, much of it having been used in the half marathon.

Its useful that part is shared by runners coming the opposite direction. This allows you to see how far back you are!

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Ye, Im glad the last section is the same as the half as I know the route and will know how far I have to go before the end, this may allow me to push for the finish as during the half I was running blind, I had no idea where the finish was and I probably could have ran faster for the last wee bit if I did know how much further I had to go. :)

O.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi all.

A large group from Clapham Chasers Running Club will be hitting Edinburgh for Marathon weekend.

We have people in both the Full Marathon as well as two relay teams, one of which is going all out to win !

Safe to say that none of our Full Marathon runners will win, but at least one of us will threaten the 3hr mark.

Looking at the course map, I see that it loops around Holyrood to start with. Doesn't that mean that its not actually 3m downhill to start as was advertised ?

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Im not sure on the distance but it is a large down hill section there. 3 miles down hill might be a bit much though......Might have a look around there in the next week or so since I work not far from there.

O.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts