Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first half marathon on Sunday and really enjoyed it.:d I dragged my Dad out of retirement (he's nearly 65 and his last race was over 20 years ago) and we shuffled round in 2 hours 11 minutes.

He enjoyed it so much I think he's going to take up running again. This leaves me with two potential problems.
1) The embarrasment of being beaten by my 65 year old Dad:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
2) I think my Mum's going to kill me for re-introducing him to running :(

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well done slowsteve....

....one option is to retire from running!!

Wouldn't advocate that though!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
ooohhhh Well Done Steve

Thats a good time well done

[email protected] your dad beating you, fact is he may well even beat you, but be proud, good on him for getting his shoes back on.

Well done again.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
2 hours 11 sounds like a bit more than a shuffle to me :d

Well done.

At least you'll both be able to run away from your mum if she comes after you. Just watch out if she takes up running too - then you'll know you're in trouble :p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Great stuff Slowsteve! Funny you should mention about your old man getting back into it... my dad's started to notch up a few slow miles on the treadmill after a long lay off of over 10years through various injuries which have made walking a real struggle!

Sub 2 hour next time eh? Always good to have some competition in the family... it's the best kind of rivalry :d

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Well done Slowsteve, I wouldn't mind doing one myself.

I'd like see my dad just run to end of garden, but my step dad well he's ran 19 marathons as well as other races. He can leave his running for a few months then one day just go out and run about 8 miles without breaking into a sweat. He can walk faster than I run too:d

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well done, steve.
It must have been great running with the old man. My memories of activity with my dad are of getting lashed down the pub - can't imagine my dad doing anything like that. My first half last year wasn't far off your time and it was a real effort for a first timer so I know it was more than a shuffle. Are you wanting to race again now? :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Great result Steve well done and good on your Pop too :d

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your good wishes folks. :d

Rob - I can't wait to do another one, I've been scouring the internet for something local-ish. Not a huge amount going on in these parts though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts