Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its happened, my first injury and its not even due to over doing it. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I caught my foot on a cobble stone and tripped. Its seems the fall has done more damage than I thought. My knee, all though no longer bruised is still sore to run on, I can walk on it with no pain what so ever but the minute I try and run on it, the pain comes on with every stride. Thats been two weeks now and I ran with the very little during the 1/2 marathon but I think this has slowed down the recovery.
The other problem I have is the opposite foot is sore across the top, not sure whats caused that but Ive had a full weeks rest now and it looks like I might need to rest for another week :(
Really annoyed because I was hoping to run my first 10k tonight but I think it would be a bad idea.

2 weeks off! I can't handle it! Might need to go to the cross trainer next week in the gym.....

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Gutted! :( Sorry to hear that Owain... though i'm sure you'll bounce back better than ever.

The pain on your other foot could potentially be related. If your knee is giving you grief you're gait will undoubtedly change a bit to try and minimise the pain/pressure on the knee, which could have a knock on affect onto the parts/muscles bearing any extra load.

Or it could always be something as simple as shoe laces being too tight? :worried:

Regardless, I wish you a speedy recovery - 'RICE' away my boy!

·
Registered
353 Posts
You have my every sympathy...I'm at the end of my 2 week rest period and knee is still niggling.

Don't go back till your 100%.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Bummer! At least it's good to get some experience in managing your injuries and getting them sorted out quickly...

Hope it clears up fast :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that Owain. Look after it and I hope it's on the mend quickly.

I reckon Richard's probably right about the other foot. I know when I hurt my left foot, my right ankle started niggling at me because of the way I was walking.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I make Richard right as well Owain.

I ran for a month or so with an injury in May and the beginning of June, and started to get other problems,which I`m sure were connected with a change in gait.

It`s a real pain and frustrating as anything,but you must let it heal.

I`m just coming to the end of a 12 day lay off,which I hope will be enough for me to run a 10k on Sunday.

Hope the lay off isn`t to long O.

All the best.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, Im thinking about going to the swimming pool next week to see how it feels. I think you could be right Richard because when I start running on Sunday my left foot felt OK but Monday or Tuesday the pain started to sneak in, could well be because I was running different to save the knee.

My body should be greatful for taking exercise not punishing me!! Grrrrr.....

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Shame Owain...those comblestones are a pain aren't they!

Very difficult to take time out isn't it...I can't bear it...but am getting to that point myself due to having no long periods off for about 2 years..body's falling apart!!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Almost there, had a very short run (1 or 2mins) up to my work this morning and the pain in my knee is almost gone along with the pain in my foot. I reckon another couple of days resting and I will be back out running again.
Im a bit excited about the pain going :D Sad aint it!

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, almost 2 weeks of rest now and Im needing to get out again! Go for a run next Monday I think, a nice easy jog and see how things hold up. Fingers crossed I will be OK and I can start building on my pace again....I will just need to remember not to fall over again :)

O.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hope it goes well for you - I know what it's like dealing with that frustration - and the elation you get just from feeling you can get out running again :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
glad to hear things on the up O, and I hope you have a good run on Monday.

TT :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a website which shows a good warm up routine? I don't normally warm up before a run, I tend to use the first 20mins of the run to warm up but if Im just going for a short run, it might be an idea.

Any help?

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
that's all I do too :|

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Well since you shouldn't stretch until muscles are warmed up - I'm not sure what you're supposed to do other than some light exercise (such as a steady jog?) :confused: I've certainly never done anything special!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts