Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, as part of my 1/2 marathon training, I did a 2 hour run. I managed to do the 2 hours without stopping and I clocked up 11 miles. I was really pleased with myself, back when I started training in January I couldnt have even thought about running non-stop for 2 hours!

Anyway, yesterday I was meant to do a slow 20min run but to be honest my body was saying no so I gave it a rest but I was walking around on the beach most of the day so I did get a bit of excercise.

Yesterday afternoon the top of my left foot started to get really sore, it feels like the muscle to my big toe. When I rest it it doesnt hurt but within 2 or 3 minutes of walking on it, it starts to hurt again. Not sure what has caused this as its comes from nowhere....I went to the gym this morning and did 20mins on the bikes and no pain, did 10mins on the crosstrainer and no pain, walk on it for 5 mins and the pain is there again.

Any ideas? There is no bruising that I can see and no swelling.

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I can't help with the injury as such but well done on your 2 hour run.

Increasing your mileage will of course have some impact upon your body so it should come as no surprise that you have picked up some kind of soreness...it will probably pass, as long as you don't do too much over next few days..if not perhaps see a fizz.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ye, I expected some aches and pains after the run but this feels more than just "after running" pains. I could be worrying about nothing.

I will be taking it easy for the next couple of days just to see if it subsides.

O.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
That sounds exactly how my toes feel when they need to be 'cracked' (you know, when like people click/crack their knuckle joints? lol). I'm guessing that's not the case in your situation though Owain. As has been said, it'll probably pass - the first few very long runs really can be a struggle in the few days afterwards - they definately get a LOT easier though with practice! :) Congrats on teh progress so far - looks like you're shaping up well for the half, can only be a few weeks away now surely?

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yip, the 16th March is the day :) Looking forward to it. I reckon on a good day I could possibly get the 1/2 done in just over 2 hours but I just want to finish it rather than hit a time.
I will live with the pain just now, if it continues to be an issue nearer the end of the week then I will look at going to the doc. My problem just now is I can't go running because its too painful. I will continue using the cycle and see how it goes.

O.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I expereinced pains in my knee when I upped the mileage for my first half, as well, and found that taking an extra couple of days rest helped the situation. I also slowed down a bit on my next couple of runs to make sure I didn't aggravate it any further. So my advice to you would be to take it easy for a few days to see if the pain goes away.

Good luck with the half. Which one is it? Is it Edinburgh by any chance?

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yip, its the Edinburgh 1/2.

I found my knees were really bad on Saturday night but yesterday and today they are fine. As the day is going on today I have found the pain is getting less, I think it is just rest I need....we will see.

Thanks for your advice everyone...

O.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The description to me sounds like strained muscles or tender tendons. In which case I think the only thing that could be done is rest, off your feet for a while. As you mentioned the pain seems to be getting less, so i'm glad things look up.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should have read this before I went to the gym this morning. Went on to the treadmill for 5 mins and had to stop. Went for a 20min cycle instead as there is no pain when I do this.

My right foot feels like it needs to crack but it doesnt matter which way I move it it just doesnt help.

I will rest it for the next couple of days, Im meant to do another 11 mile run this weekend but that will have to wait until I know I have recovered. The rest of my body has recovered from the run but the most important bit, my feet, are still causing issues.....

O.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same problem last year and here's what fix it:
~Stretching the feet
~Purchase S.O.L.E. custom insoles (best purchase I ever made!)
~Change shoes to Nirvana Wave 3 (Mizuno)

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The shoes I have just now are New Balance 767s. They are really comfy but are they designed for long runs? When I bought them about 6 months ago I didnt dream of running a 1/2 marathon so didnt say anything about long distance to the girl in the running shop.

Would it be worth me looking at getting new shoes or should I keep the shoes I have just now and just get new insoles??

I don't want to get new shoes only 3 weeks away from my 1/2 marathon run but if it helps me walk afterwards then it might be an idea :)

O.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went out for a 45 min slow run on Saturday and managed 30mins before my left foot got sore again! With only 2 weeks to go until the 1/2 Marathon Im a bit nervous about running on it at all but I don't want to loose my fitness over the next 2 weeks.....I was thinking about going out for a run around the park this lunch time but Im nervous about injuring my foot further.

O.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ye, thought about the cross trainer, its just such a nice day today I felt like going outside and running. The more I think about it though, I should just use the cross trainer and take it easy, no point being out of action for the race!

Thanks for your advice...the gym it is then!

O.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
You may well be fine to run outside... but there's nothing more demoralising than missing out on an event that you've trained specifically for!!! In this situation I always feel it's better to err on the side of caution - worst case scenario is that you'll be smidge behind your optimal finish time.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im going to go for a walk this evening over the forth bridge, see how it feels and then go to the gym tomorrow morning to try the cross trainer.....I know in my head that I can run the 1/2 marathon so thats going to help on the day.

Is it worth using some sort of support on my foot or is this going to possibly hide any aches and pains?
Sorry for all the questions but I really want to run the event but I don't want to be putting myself at risk of injury.

O.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
it wouldn't 'hide' any aches and pains... if it eases any pain the it's because it's easing the cause of the pain. the only thing that would hide the pain is something that numbs it.

Compression has been known to aid recovery, and as such I'll wear various supports or bits of tubigrip or compression leggings when I'm not exercising to try and speed things up. I rarely seem to wear them when running though (not sure why!), I can't see them causing any problems?

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the pains are back and its the same thing. As its been said in my other thread it could well be due to the way I run and Im crunching my toes up or doing something that I don't realise while running. I might head out for an easy run tomorrow and see how it goes.

While sitting here at my PC there is no pain but if I point my feet down towards the ground and then press gently down the pain kicks in, its as if the tendons in my toes have shrunk and when I press down Im stretching them again.....very odd :)

O.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts