Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am in training for my first marathon and currently following a training plan from marathon training .com. basically i have been running tue, thur, sat and sun, it now starts to include wed, whilst i will try to run 5 times a week i am finding it difficult with 2 young children and also on the wed run feel quite achy.

The marathon is in October, how many runs do you all do?

if i were to drop one what would be the best 1 to drop?

i am thinking the wed rather than the sat (sat stays at 3 miles increasing to 4) but wed seems to be the longer ie 8 miles?

I have ran a half marathon and that training plan said to train tue thur sat and sun and for that i dropped the sat run?

do you think dropping one run is wise?

look forward to your comments.

kind regards

cazz

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi Cazz welcome to the forum.

Running schedules are fantastic if only we all lived in a perfect world

October is a fair way off yet so you've still got a lot of running to do ,as for missing mileage out of your schedule it really depends on what you're hoping to achieve

Juggle the schedule to suit your lifestyle, it's not absolutely rigid you should however make sure you do those longer runs because the half is not nearly as challenging as the full marathon

Most important thing of all is to enjoy the training

good luck for october

take it easy;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

thanx for replying to me at the mo i am doing about a 9.5 to 10 min mile and i am hoping to complete the marathon in under 5 hours, preferably 4h 20 m (10 min mile).

The sun is where the long run is so i would be doing this the sat stays at 4 miles.

The week runs (t w t) go 6 8 6 or 5 7 6 do you think it would be ok to drop the wed or would be detrimental is it so you get used to the aching etc you will get doing the marathon??

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi cazz

Welcome to the forum :)

You have got ages to build up, so you don't need to stress too much about mileage right now, so long as you are running regularly and so getting your body used to it being a regular thing.

What you don't want is to do too much now and pick up an injury, so listen to your body carefully. It will tell you if you are doing too much.

What you need to do is find a proper marathon schedule, one that you can fit into your lifestyle without too much hassle. You can get them that last up to about 20 weeks, so pick a fairly long one. There are plenty around, there are some good ones on Runners World, plus in most running books. Hal Higdon also has good schedules. You could probably google 'marathon schedules' or something.

Then plan it so the schedule ends on race day...put it in a diary or something. Now you will have a schedule start date and something to aim for.

Up until the official start date of you schedule keep training regularly so you are in the best shape to start the schedule.

Keep posting, there are plenty of people on here with some good advice that will help you through your first marathon training and the race itself

:)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Cazz

Welcome to RF, all the best with your training and good luck in October.

TT

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Mornin Twinks :)

cazz... I've just googled 'marathon schedules' and there's loads of sites there with a whole range of schedules, mostly 16 or 18 weeks long, but Hal Higdon does a 30 week schedule for new marathoners...there's a lot of cross training in it though, which you may not want, or be able to do

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Morning all!!

Welcome to RF Cazz.

Trinity's advice is spot on...gradually build up your stamina and build a base to begin a proper schedule 16 weeks or so to race day.

What marathon are you planning to run?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts