Runners Forum banner

First O/80

4K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Henners 
#1 · (Edited)
Ran the Ilkley 7 mile Trail Race on Bank Holiday Monday, my first race as an MV80, and came away with a prize. All finishers received a nice Diamond Jubilee mug too, so that'll come in handy for my morning coffee. My Blog (below) has a race report and pictures.
Cheers!

#12 ·
Well done Gordon. We've just come back from the World masters in Germany and you're just a spring chicken compared with some of them:)
M90 - 5 runners (one of these will be an M95 next year)
M85 - 17 runners
W85 - 6 runners
M80 - 82 runners
W80 - 23 runners

Here are a few pics (first two numbers on the bibs is their age class)
http://www.wmoc2012.de/en/photos/

PS Jean Lochhead is new world champion in W65 sprint race

#13 ·
What an amazing set of people, all shapes and sizes with such serious expressions on their faces. I was amused at number 90505 pottering along with dark glasses and a stick! I haven't come across Jean Lochhead's name in years and wondered if she was still active. Now I know!
How did you get on Guy? Are you on any of those videos and what was your number?

#14 ·
There are 2 races - Sprint (estimated winning time around 14/15 min) and Long Classic
1 qualification race for sprint - and fastest 69 (in M75) go into A final - the rest in B final
Made A final and finished 21st - my better half was 11th in W70 A final.

Completely 'blew' the 2 qualifying races in the Long so ended up in the B final - In final we went off at 2 minute intervals with slowest qualifier off first - I was in the middle of the field with 38 faster qualifiers behind me - but had a solid run to finish 5th

Had a brief moment of glory at the top of the leader board before the faster, later runners came in Text Font Paper Document

Jean developed a cold over the week and although she made the A final she only finished 57th. Judith, my wife, finished 30th equal in A final - so was first Brit home in both races

My number was 75504 and Judith's 70001 - Haven't spotted either of us yet

#16 ·
Gotcha, and judging by the way you shot through the picture you must have been going well. Can't say orienteering appeals to me though. Immediately before watching your video I'd discovered one of the Transvulcania race which I'd been privileged to watch while down in La Palma in May. Now that's what I'd be wanting to do if I was a young whippersnapper again like some on this Forum.

#21 ·
Hi Running Fox again, I see you are still running and doing well too!. I am pleased to report that I am still injury free, racing now and then and loving it too. As I am nearly as ancient as you, I watch your progress with great interest Gordon. My wife (an ex runner who now cycles) is a Yorkshire lass who has lived down under for many years.
I ran a 10k fun run last weekend which I was pleased with but have now just discovered on-line "Parkruns" Just by chance I am in Australia for a short holiday this weekend and guess what...there is a "Parkrun" which starts about 500 yds from the door of the holiday apartment I shall be at. I will certainly join in that 5k run on Saturday morning. Have you been to any Parkruns? Plenty around your part of the world. The organisation sounds great and it would encourage new people to get involved in the running lifestyle.

#22 ·
Hi there Mick, great to hear you're still churning out the miles and entering the odd race here and there. As regards Park runs, I've only done one so far, as an MV75, and really enjoyed the simple organization, laid back atmosphere and friendliness of everybody. I'm planning on doing more with the idea of working my way nearer to the top of the age-graded table. Good luck with your run on Saturday - and maybe let us know how it goes.

#27 ·
Hi Gordon, Sofie,Rob et al, I just had to say that there is still life in the old dog yet. I ran a ParkRun in Australia yesterday whilst on holiday and did a time of 25.18.
(pleasing for me) As I am back in NZ next weekend, I intend to run a different ParkRun there so.............two weeks in a row, a Parkrun in 2 different countries is a new and fun experience for me. No injuries and having fun. I was very impressed with the Parkrun organisation and the whole concept of recording the events. I know that Gordon has run in ParkRun events, how about you other folks?

#28 ·
The above comments is also also addressed to Fulmar & Pamss.......when I type a response I cannot see preceding Posts so it is hard to include all names! Running Fox is my Role Model. If he can run well in his 80's then I can certainly do the same in my 70's! I have cancelled my order for a rocking chair and bought a new pair of runing shoes instead.

#29 ·
You 'old' guys are truly an inspiration. Not only are you running in your 70's and 80's but you're still posting impressive times. I hope to be doing likewise in 30 years time... :S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.