Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Just thought I would let you all know that I got of the treadmill today and instead went for my first run outside this morning!!! it was fantastic (as you all predicted) went to my local park and ran around it three times which took me 20 minutes.....which I thought was ok for my first time. (its a reasonable large park)

Any advice now as I feel great but my legs feel a bit sore...applied some cream for aching muscles!!!!!ha ha

NELLIE:::

·
Registered
64 Posts
legs will feel sore as that's a good run you've done in the outside.

To be honest I can rarely run on the treadmill- I find it nowhere near as much fun as being outside, even if it's tipping down!

Well done on getting out and enjoy running outside! It's much more fun that way, relaxing and actually you may find yourself running faster!

rest your legs for a day or so and hopefully they'll feel fine. Self-massage using oil of some sort ( either Johnsons or even just use olive oil- it works fine!) of the legs can help get rid of some of the soreness and help the legs recuperate faster.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congratulations! I remember the first time I went "outside running" since I was a wee lad, I found that less people looked at me outside than they did with their staring eyes in the gym. I find gyms attract weird people.

The soreness is almost a good sign! Give it 48 hours and you should be ready to run again!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that.... do you think 20 minutes is good? i'm not sure as i have been running on the treadmill from April and got up to about 40 minutes (did 1 hour once!!!) I felt I could have run longer but my legs started getting sore and I did not want to over do it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think 20 minutes is fine for a first run to get accustomed to external conditions. I started off doing 15 minute runs and have built substantially on that. 48 hours isn't that long! Its important that you don't overdo it at first and build up no more than 10% each week. You could add a few more minutes on your run on Friday morning and that'd be great!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nellie
You must give your body time to recover, don't over do it and get an injury.

Remember 20 mins. in the park is different to 20 mins. at the gym. A treadmill is much easier as you are not propelling yourself forward.

Well done.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
A hot bath with some muscle relaxing bubble bath works a treat. Make sure you stretch properly after your runs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts