Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to start running again after an 18yr gap. Ive got the right shoes etc but have no idea how to start so I dont kill myself or put myself of due to the pain! Does anyone have an idea as to how I should proceed? All help greatfully received.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Welcome to RF

Good for you for getting back out there.

Why don't you google some run/walk programmes?

What ever you do take it easy getting back in to it?

What sort of distances were you used to running?

TT :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum Stellap.
Great news that your getting back in to it, its never to late :)
Just take it nice and slow to start with and as TT said, have a look for run/walk programmes, they will easy you back in nicely and reduce the chance or injury.

Have you been doing any other sort of sports over the last 18 years which might help with fitness?

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Personally I'd plot out a route of maybe 2 miles sticking close to home and just see how you go... worst case scenario is that you walk the lot (I'm assuming you can walk 2miles ;):p ) From there you'll have a much better idea of where to start. Run walk programs are a great way to get back into running, but it may well be that you're naturally above the level that a run/walk program requires ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum Stellap :)

I had a break of 15 years, so I know what it's like coming back. Just take it easy to begin with, listen to your body, don't make it too tough and most importantly enjoy the run

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. Ive just been out and took it really easy. I looked online and found a beginners running programme. I ran for a minute, then walked for a minute and a half. I repeated this 8 times and it wasnt that bad! It said to do this three times for a week then the week after its ups things a bit. Does this seem ok? I used to run the 1500 metres and cross country, but over the years ive been a lazy slob so have got to start from scratch. I must admit it did feel nice to put a pair of trainers on again. :d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Thanks for your replies. Ive just been out and took it really easy. I looked online and found a beginners running programme. I ran for a minute, then walked for a minute and a half. I repeated this 8 times and it wasnt that bad! It said to do this three times for a week then the week after its ups things a bit. Does this seem ok? I used to run the 1500 metres and cross country, but over the years ive been a lazy slob so have got to start from scratch. I must admit it did feel nice to put a pair of trainers on again. :d
Great start, Well done and welcome.

Won't be long before you are running again.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF Stellap....sounds like you've started back in fine fettle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tis the morning after the night before..... My legs ache but thats to be expected. This is going to be a long process but im determined to do it. Thanks for all your welcomes and support, really nice of you all. Henceforth I shall be moving home into the new menbers penthouse. :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
good for you Stellap

Keep up posted on how you get on.

:d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts