Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently in the process of joining the Army, my run time needs to be below 11 minutes for 1.5 miles!

Im 19 and used to be well into my bodybuilding but i've let that slip and am now quite skinny again at only 5'6! Well yesterday I went on my first proper long distance run, I had run 1.5 miles a few days before to see if I can do the 1.5 but I had to stop mid way and ended up doing it in 15 minutes :mad:. So yesterday I went for my first proper long distance run, I power walked for about 5 minutes then started running, I did 1.5 miles in 10 minutes! I think the reason for the slow time the first time is that I ran way too fast and got out of puff! Well I got to the 10 minute mark on my run and I thought hell im not even aching or really ouof puff so I continued to run for another 4 miles! Woop! I didnt time the rest but I am just really glad I could run that far!

Now it's like a 1 man competition! :d

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
ok, i googled it... hrun - be nice :)...

FS - welcome to the forum... ~5 miles is very impressive for second run, you should be very pleased... i think you are one of the lucky ones - i was much worse than that when i first started... the more you run the better you get so you still have a lot of potential to improve if you want to carry on with it... if you do want to carry on with running long term then it'll be a good idea to buy some running shoes - they are lighter than normal shoes and reduce chance of injury... that's all you need to know - the rest is common sense...

good luck !

·
Registered
693 Posts
That doesnt sound slow for 1.5 miles to me! I can barely manage 1 mile in over 10 minutes and thats at a very hard push!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm currently in the process of joining the Army, my run time needs to be below 11 minutes for 1.5 miles!
No problem FS. I was running a lot faster than that in my 60's for 26 miles of a marathon, so surely a fit 19 year old aspiring Army recruit can manage a mile and a half without much hassle. You only need to run at 7 min/mile pace. Suggest you run six laps of an athletics track so you know you've got the distance about right. You can do it...easy.
Cheers!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys! Oh and a power walk is just walking really fast... not a jog but not walking...

Am going for another run today, I forgot to mention I think I pushed myself too hard last time. The next day and even today a bit I ached so much all over like I had just gone 5 rounds :S. we'll see how I feel tomorrow. :lol:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Cheers guys! Oh and a power walk is just walking really fast... not a jog but not walking...

Am going for another run today, I forgot to mention I think I pushed myself too hard last time. The next day and even today a bit I ached so much all over like I had just gone 5 rounds :S. we'll see how I feel tomorrow. :lol:

Longer warm down and better stretching will help with this.

A word to the wise the the 1.5 miler is part of the entrance requirments dont forget the sit ups press ups and pull ups. Also once in the 1.5 mile run is referred to as a basic fitness test, which is suggestive that the expected standard is higher, this is particularly relevant in phase 1 and 2 training.

The fitter you are the easier training will be as your recovery time will be quicker hence you can perform to a higher standard. Good luck mate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A word to the wise the the 1.5 miler is part of the entrance requirments dont forget the sit ups press ups and pull ups. Also once in the 1.5 mile run is referred to as a basic fitness test, which is suggestive that the expected standard is higher, this is particularly relevant in phase 1 and 2 training.
Aye thanks I got the rest of the fitness tests down to a tee, only just started training for the cardio part about a week ago though. Should pass all the fitness tests no problem but I will be keeping that in mind what you said about phase one having a higher standard than the entry fitness test, it's pretty obvious isn't it!

Off for my run now whilst the days at its best. o/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from my run, ran about 3 miles but didn't time it since I had to stop a few times (not a for a breather for traffic lights and people etc, I need to find an uninterrupted path to run). I think even though i've been running less than 2 weeks my fitness has greatly improved already, every time I go out I push myself to the max, I find it's more of a mind over matter case than physical stress.

Never thought running could be this addictive. :cool:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
countless people start of burst of enthusiasm but to be brutally honestly i doubt it'll last... maybe chill out a bit?... pushing yourself to the max every time you run sounds very intense and i doubt you'll keep at it long term if you run like that... i guess everyone is different though... may work for you and you could stay enthusastic for life... but i never really had this initial enthusiasm... do wonder what keeps me going now... when i started i felt that i had to prove myself but now i don't know... i don't know about addictive - i run out of habbit and lack of anything else constructive to do in the mornings... dont seem to have the enthusiasm or motivation anymore but hopefully it will come back someday...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I think part of the motivation for me is knowing that I am improving my body physically, outside and inside. Health and fitness is a big part of my life, I used to be big into bodybuilding (this doesn't mean Arnold Schwarzenegger style, it's the pursuit of what you think is the perfect looking body...) so some of the motivation and enthusiasm is shared with that.

I think the best way to drum up the willpower to get out there and do it whatever it may be is targets, I set myself targets. If you set yourself a target with a reasonable time to achieve it then when you eventually meet it, your urge to get out there and run will come running back to you. ;)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've done targets to death but just for you FS I will follow the advice and 'push myself to the max'... Tomorrow I'll try and see how so how far I can run just to test myself... I'll aim for ~12 miles... If I kill myself it may as well be whilst I'm running...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I've done targets to death but just for you FS I will follow the advice and 'push myself to the max'... Tomorrow I'll try and see how so how far I can run just to test myself... I'll aim for ~12 miles... If I kill myself it may as well be whilst I'm running...
If you've regularly been running between 9 and 10 miles (and I know you have), do you think that adding an extra couple of miles is going to be that big a test?:huh:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hello FS,
Good luck with your Army training, by all accounts its a huge challenge for anyone. If I were you I'd think about doing your run in some kind of boots and also carrying a backpack of some description. Apparently the Army are quite big on this kind of training!
Running with stuff like that is a whole different ball game to running free in trainers on a road.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello FS,
Good luck with your Army training, by all accounts its a huge challenge for anyone. If I were you I'd think about doing your run in some kind of boots and also carrying a backpack of some description. Apparently the Army are quite big on this kind of training!
Running with stuff like that is a whole different ball game to running free in trainers on a road.
I don't have any boots yet but I am going to train with weight soon, gradually building up until I can run a good distance with 20 kg on my back (the weight of a fully laden army burgen). I want to build some size on my legs first though, they ache atm with nothing on me! :p

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you've regularly been running between 9 and 10 miles (and I know you have), do you think that adding an extra couple of miles is going to be that big a test?:huh:
no not regularly - only for the last three weeks have i been running anywhere near 9 miles... i've also been running the long run a lot in the past few weeks and finally the running really caught up with me... so yes it was a very big test today and my legs really weren't up to it... i did it in the end but finished it slow... i'm not planning on running like this forever - only for seven more weeks... so this is a bit like a test to see what i can do without distractions... after this time i'm probably going to half the milage - i think 25 miles a week is possible with going back to 9-5 but it may well be less... will see how it goes... i want to have a level i'd suistain and can't plan too far into the future anymore as everything keeps changing !!...

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't have any boots yet but I am going to train with weight soon, gradually building up until I can run a good distance with 20 kg on my back (the weight of a fully laden army burgen). I want to build some size on my legs first though, they ache atm with nothing on me! :p
Have to say I'm a bit dubious about the idea of size on your legs relating to your stamina with a pack on your back... hm..maybe. But distance running and endurance events are chock full of scrawny looking guys that can go on forever! As you said earlier, most of its in the mind. But whatever works for you mate, do it.

Now for my top tip to prevent blisters, never before revealed in public. It sounds ridiculous, and has always been the subject of much hilarity but I can assure you it works! Discovered by accident and tested numerous times.
Superglue. Dries to a rock hard layer on your skin that lasts all day. Smear on the back of your heels, toes etc before you set off. Important point: allow to dry before putting on socks...
Laugh at frustrated corporal expecting you to be a hobbling wreck after five miles. Breeze past fellow recruits. You heard it here first..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts