Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Iv literally in the last week started running, so far so good im loving it. I know the London Marathon is in a few days and accept that im nowhere near the fitness level i need to be capable of finishing with a respectable time.

Im trying to get a base level of fitness in me before i start going too mad with my training but was just wondering what a good time frame for training for next years would be. Is there a genearal rule in running of how long you give yourself on the run up to the event (excuse the pun) or would i be ok starting now and just picking up the distance and pace every few weeks?

Any advice or criticism welcome.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
As with all runs/races, there's running it, and surviving it...

My old man has always said to me that to do well in a marathon, you really need a year of marathon specific training... Which I think is probably fair enough if you're really focused on getting a good time... If you want to survive then obviously you can get away with a lot less.

If you're thinking of entering FLM next year though, I think with a year's training you should be able to run it comfortably, and then perhaps continue with your training to smash your time the following year ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what i needed to hear thanks for that.

You mention marathon specific training, any way you could elaborate that for me?

At the moment im just running a set route and then upping the mileage to suit my strength/fitness level.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Really just training for the 26.2 mile distance... building up the mileage to prepare for te demands of the marathon.

I mean I've been 'training' for 3 years, but I still couldn't run a marathon! lol.
There's plenty of websites around I'm sure that would have training programs to suit, have a search through google and let us know if you find anything interesting :)

For now though it sounds like you've got the right idea in gradually building up the mileage :d

1 - 4 of 4 Posts