Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I'm in need of a bit of advice, more to rest my mind than anything else. I have been running for a couple of years but I'm new to racing, actually I have done one race last year which was the Leeds 10k. As I live in Bradford it wasn't much trouble getting to the race, infact my brother dropped my girlfriend and me near the starting line and while I did the race my girlfriend took care of my bag, keys, wallet etc.
I will be doing the Great North Run this year, it's at least a two hour drive to get there and I will be most likely going by myself. I'm not sure whether to sort out accommodation and get there a day or so early or drive up on the day.
My other concern is that as I've mentioned I am new to racing and I'm unsure of the procedures of the race, at the Leeds 10k you just turned up and was directed to different pens depending on your expected time and then after the race you was directed to where you collected your goody bag and t-shirt, all very straight forward. I'm not sure what to expect with the Great North Run with it being such a big race, will it be the same kind of procedure as the Leeds 10k ?. I understand there is somewhere you can leave your baggage and pick it up at the finish. how does this work?
Any advice, pointers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've never done the GNR Adey, but i'd imagine it'll be a very simple procedure - after all there will be masses of people who've never raced before at all, so certainly don't worry yourself over that!

As for travelling up on the day Vs accommodation, it's all down to personal preference... obviously with a long drive there's a slightly higher chance of things going wrong at the last minute such as traffic, car breakdown etc... but at the same time it saves the hassle of sorting accommodation, means you get to stay in your own bed and is probably cheaper too... Getting accommodation will certainly make things a lot easier on the day, just a little more to sort out in the meantime - either way I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it, just so long as your turn up on the day as relaxed as possible and well rested :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi AdeyT

Welcome to RF :d

I did the GNR last year it is very well organised, if you do stay overnight you will be lucky to get a room and it will be more than the norm, I stayed in a not so good hotel but that was all I could get, tripadvisor was not kind at all:eek: but the staff were very friendly and polite.

If you drove I would not be sure were the best place would be to park, have you looked into public transport to get you there?

Once you are at the start there will be several buses which will take your bag all you have to do is remember the bus number and it will be at the finish when you are done.

The GNR also works on pens too and this will be explained when you get your runners number through it will come with a whole bunch of information.

When you have finished the race and you have collected your bag it is down to you how you get home from there as the race starts in Newcastle and finishes in Sheffield so that is something else you need to think about too.

The only other thing you really need to try and sort out now is how to get there and if you do decide to stay the night you need to get on to it asap.

Apart from that enjoy it :p you will have a great day.

I hope I have covered everything.

TT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twinkle toes said:
When you have finished the race and you have collected your bag it is down to you how you get home from there as the race starts in Newcastle and finishes in Sheffield so that is something else you need to think about too.
TT
Sheffield :eek: I thought this was a half marathon lol

Thanks for the replies, puts my mind at rest a little

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
AdeyT said:
Sheffield :eek: I thought this was a half marathon lol

Thanks for the replies, puts my mind at rest a little

What a dork sorry I mean't south shields :embarrassed:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did the GNR in 2005, it's a great race.

I'd echo pretty much what Twinkle Toes said.

My one comment, you say you're new to racing but not to running. Are you likely to find 13.1 miles fairly easy? GNR was my second ever run, the first being a local 5k earlier in the year. Given this was the year temperatures were in the mid 20s and there were a couple of deaths, by the end of it I was a mess! I could barely walk, there was no way I would have been able to drive 2 hours home.

If you are going to drive, given the early start I'd be surprised if there was public transport from SS to Newcastle in the morning. On the other hand you're more likely to get back to Newcastle in the afternoon.

I wouldn't worry too much about valuables, it's very well organised.

Enjoy the race and watch out for the neverending last mile :d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts