Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm just so excited I want to share my emotions, sorry :)

So I started running inside on treadmills around 4 months ago, first time I could run only on 5 m/h speed with breaks every 10 minutes (shame on me). I tried to do outside runs too, but it was feeling much harder. Little by little I got better, started to build up distance and couple of days ago I did 22.76 kilometers in 2 hours and 10 minutes outside!

After first 10 kilometers I was about to give up but then decided to go for another loop around the lake (~ 4km) I live near to, one loop around the lake ended up with 3 and I did it! I have to admit by the end I was feeling really exhausted, but so happy!

I'm feeling so good I started to run, I've lost 9 kilos since then and got in a pretty good shape, but most of all I enjoy the fact that now I can run for so long. 2 hours with 10 minutes is too bad, I agree (I've checked people usually do half marathon in around one hour :( ), but the most important thing for me was the fact that I did the distance!

I was told that before doing that kind of a distance I should check with the doctor, is that true? And I didn't take with me any drinks or anything, though at the run I wished I did.

I hope with the new busy term at school starting I'll keep running, it makes me feel so much better!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
That is fantastic mate, well done. Don't worry about the time, speed can come later.

I think the doctor advise is a safety check by people giving info. You will know if it is required.

As to fluid, it is generally thought you might need fluid if you are running over an hour. I have run that sort of distance twice. Once without water, once with and my performance was better when I had water to sip. Dehydration is energy sapping and can be dangerous.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well done and great going.

Most people don't complete a 1/2 marathon in 1 hour, what you have done is more than respectable especially for a first, so don't be worrying it's not a good time.

Keep us posted on your future progress too :d

TT

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I bet it's gonna get pretty cold doing outdoor running in Ontario over the next couple of months ;)

Well done on your efforts so far. As TT said, 1 hour for a half mara is certainly not the norm; even 10 miles in that time is pretty special! Set your own goals and don't judge yourself by the standards of others - I'm sure you'll get where you want to be :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
completing a half marathon after 4 months of running is a great accomplishment, and 2:10 is very respectable. As others have said, 1 hour for half marathon is what Olympic standard athletes aim for. I'm sure your time will improve significantly as you run more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all guys for encouragement, it feels so good to run and come here later to say that you did it.

As to fluid, it is generally thought you might need fluid if you are running over an hour. I have run that sort of distance twice. Once without water, once with and my performance was better when I had water to sip. Dehydration is energy sapping and can be dangerous.
Yeah, that's true I really needed something to drink after first hour. I guess next time I'll just put a bottle in front of a door, come take it running and go ahead (well hoping nobody will take it before me :) )

It is amazing how fast it happened to me, I was really really out of shape hardly doing 4 kilometers outside with a friend, then one day we decided to go for a slightly longer loop ~8km, the next day it was 10km, and two days after - 12km. After week of 12 km loops (every other day, in between those just short runs of 4 km) I did 22! Aside of that I also got so much back in shape, everybody was asking what kind of magical diet I was doing :d

I think I'll try to increase my speed on a smaller loops and see how it goes. I hope one day I'll be able to do half marathon distance in 100 minutes :rolleyes:

I bet it's gonna get pretty cold doing outdoor running in Ontario over the next couple of months ;)
:d, yeah it's gonna get really crazy here. I remember last winter people were running outside when it was officially announced winter storm. I'll try to keep up outside running as much as I can, then for winter probably will have to go back to the treadmills (but honestly now after outside runs treadmills really suck!)

Going by your username and signature, I take it your a Pink Floyd fan?
Yes, that's definitely my favorite band. Have been listening since I was about 15 (started with "Delicate Sound of Thunder", then "The Dark Side of the Moon" and that's the album after which I got really addicted). So it's about 7 years now and I still listen to them with the same excitement. Great band!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts