Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of training for a marathon. I am following a schedule that requires me, between now and October the 27th to run 5Miles on Tuesday, 8 Miles on Wednesday, Fartlek or intervals on Friday and progressively longer runs on Sundays.

Last sunday I ran 12 miles having completed two 10 mile runs on the previous two Sundays and the midweek training to go with them.

I felt pretty good but toward the end of the run I felt some slight calf pain (up the inside of the right calf) and has been a little tight since. It has eased with stretching and I am sure it just requires some rest. However I was wondering how much fitness I would lose if I were to miss midweek training or substitute the running for sessions on the bike in the gym. Would I still be sensible to do another 12 miles this coming Sunday or should I drop down in terms of distance? Is there a formula to work out fitness loss?

I am concerned that this will throw out my schedule, but I am more concerned that I will tear the calf muscle.

Bottom line if I don't train this week will I be able to go straight back where I left off? I really want to do this marathon but I am the type of person who needs the reassurance of a full training programme behind me to get through it!!

Not exactly short or to the point but any advice really welcomed!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
cycling instead of running for a few weeks probably won't lose you any fitness, and you'd be able to carry on where you left off (more or less) - it'd be more a case of not gaining fitness that you could have if you'd continued training as planned.

Either way, I wouldn't worry - keeping yourself in tip top condition now is far better than struggling on and risking doing some serious damage in a few weeks time!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Firstly it's very unlikey that you just 'tear the calf muscle' running as you are. But I'd still suggest using the bikes like you said. It'll work your muscles slightly differently but as long as you work hard on them and have a longish session on them, I doubt your running performance will be reduced by the off time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Will I be able to resume where I left off then? I mean, if I am OK by sunday should I do another long run , say another 12 miler or reduce the distance?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I am no where near your distance but recently lost 3 weeks due to an injury. Personally I would do something non impact for a week. Better to lose a week but keep the fitness up than lose months due to an injury.

Good luck with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts