Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,im looking for a bit of advice about staying fit.Since january i have been running 3 or 4 times a week and lost nearly 2 stones.I am now finding it difficult to find the time for 4 runs a week and was wondering if 1 or 2 runs a week would be enough to maintain a decent level of fitness(im doing 12 miles every sunday and last week managed it in 1 hr 30 mins).Is this alone enough to stay fit?????:cool:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
That's certainly an impressive start to a running carreer... Well done! View attachment 341
It's generally believed that the minimum amount of runs needed to maintain the "training effect" * is 3 to 4 per week, (even if one is a 12 miler... and that's startling to have built up to that kind of distance in such a short time...!).

Simply put, the "training effect" can be thought of as your body "remembering" the runs which you do... Erm, think of your body as having a really short-term memory. Too long between runs and your body "forgets" and the advantages that the runs provide are diluted ...
...More runs, and the body is able to remember from the "time before", thus compiling, and "adding-up" the benefits, thereby increasing your fitness. View attachment 342

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice.i was shocked at the success ive had since starting running.I have totally changed my diet and realised that you dont need to starve or eat boring stuff just to eat sensibly.i started by running two miles on the first night on the 20th of january and was pretty much knackered by the end of it.I stuck at it every second night gradually increasing every week,doing a longer run on a sunday morning.The first long run i done was 6 miles then increased this by 2 miles every sunday until last weeks 12 miles.(is 1hr 30 mins a good time?)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The more you tell us... the more you impress me! Seems like a steep improvement curve, but I like the way you've applied yourself to this running "thing"... Not too timid or cautious...(as is the fashion!).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!I believe that if you are going to do something its worth doing it right.Theres no point running five miles then going home and stuffing your face with fried food.I know people from work who go to the gym but smoke 20 a day and go out drinking twice a week and i think-whats the point?I found it quite easy to get into running because although i was a bit over weight im not a smoker and dont drink either.My only downfall was junkfood and i hope i dont fall back into my old habits.Im afraid that after this initial success i will lose the motivation to keep going.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Don't know about you, but I always found that success always bred motivation... sort of an accumulating snowball affect. The more you do; the more you want to do... The better you get; the better you want to get.
Other than that, you may even develop a genuine love of running, which will keep you at it long-term.:d

Keep it up anyway.

·
Registered
835 Posts
ross r said:
Thanks!I believe that if you are going to do something its worth doing it right.Theres no point running five miles then going home and stuffing your face with fried food.I know people from work who go to the gym but smoke 20 a day and go out drinking twice a week and i think-whats the point?I found it quite easy to get into running because although i was a bit over weight im not a smoker and dont drink either.My only downfall was junkfood and i hope i dont fall back into my old habits.Im afraid that after this initial success i will lose the motivation to keep going.
I started my diet and running around a year ago, I reached my target weight after around 7-8 months and I too was very worried that I would loose my motivation and fall back into my old habits (eating too much and taking no exercise). Too date that hasn't happened and I have a sneaky feeling that all this running, the subsequent new body shape and extra energy for life that I have is really my mid life crisis being portrayed in a very in a very positive way.

Having said all that though, I still enjoy a drink or three and actually use them as a reward for all my training.

Mid life crisis! Bring it on!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys,thats given me a bit of a boost.I guess i should see running as a hobby rather than just a means of losing weight.Ive enjoyed reading the posts in this forum and it seems like a good place to get tips and advice about running:d :d :d

1 - 10 of 10 Posts