Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to do a 10k run at lunch time and I have marked out to potential runs.

The first is a flat route which requires me to go around the park (for those in the know - The Meadows) 4 times and then back to my office. This could give me a good idea on my speed for a 10k race but maybe a bit boring.

The other route is to head from the office out and up Arthurs seat which is a great work out but maybe not the best for getting an idea on speed.

What would you do if you were me :)

O.

·
Registered
378 Posts
For speed, go for your park run.

Having tried to walk up Arthurs Seat in the past, I'd think that getting an idea of speed using that run would be difficult!

Just my thoughts!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I would go for flat, only because I know how curious you are :lol:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I would usually prefer Arthur's Seat, but looking out my office window the weather doesn't look great so it might not be too much fun.

BTW, we probably work very close. My office is a couple minutes walk from the Pleasance. You're not a fellow academic are you?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
lol, I have ran Arthurs seat a number of times and your right, speed isnt really an option. Not yet anyway.

TT, I am curious and I think I might really push myself today...maybe take it easy for the first 2 times round the park and then go for it for the last two....

Or is it better to wait and push it for the last time round?
MapMyRun.com | View 07/17/2008 Route in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

JB: Na, Im a Civil Servant :) You'll see where my office is in the map above ^

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Go for it O. build up the pace on each lap, can't wait to hear how you do.:d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
lol, I have ran Arthurs seat a number of times and your right, speed isnt really an option. Not yet anyway.

TT, I am curious and I think I might really push myself today...maybe take it easy for the first 2 times round the park and then go for it for the last two....

Or is it better to wait and push it for the last time round?
MapMyRun.com | View 07/17/2008 Route in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

JB: Na, Im a Civil Servant :) You'll see where my office is in the map above ^

O.
You can still run pretty fast around Arthur's seat. I did my first half marathon time trial by running 4 laps of Queen's drive on a freezing, windy day a few days before xmas, and managed it in 1 hour 34 mins. You just have to push yourself :p

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you go up the long slow climb or up the steep short climb? I tend to go up the steep short climb as it gets it over and done with :)

O.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Do you go up the long slow climb or up the steep short climb? I tend to go up the steep short climb as it gets it over and done with :)

O.

When I did the 4 laps, I did 2 laps on the long slow climb, and 2 laps on the steep short one. TBH, It made little difference to my lap times.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
One good thing about the long slow climb route is that you have a fantastic downhill for the last mile so can really make up time. I clocked myself doing a 5.10 mile on that final downhill stretch. Makes you feel like a pro :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts