Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be a good idea if all those who have got into the FLM posted their ups and downs of training for this year's marathon. That way we can keep morale high and help each other along.

Obviously anyone, whether in or not, can comment....the more encouragement, especially when it's nasty out there, the better!

From 1/1 there were 16 weeks to race day. I've done 2 sessions of 6m and 6.65m so far, will do 2 more runs and aim to finish the week with a 10/11miler. At the moment no niggles to report; just a bit heavy legged having been a bit lazy due to injury for the last few weeks.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm in for this.
Will be interesting to see what people are up to.
My week (1/1) started with the club handicap xc race on Monday. 5.5 miles of mud! 39.44 for me as I have a bit of xmas lard to shift!
Yesterday was 4 and 6 miles recovery
Just off out to do about 75-80 minutes now.
Track tomorrow
Recovery miles Friday, Race Sussex XC champs on Saturday then Brooks City Run on Sunday in Brighton. Check out www.city-runs.co.uk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Where is your rest day in this first week, Steepler?

(and an aside: did you still manage to stay off the alcohol over the festive season?)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Don't do rest days. Would rather just have an easy day like a 30min run.
Did 4 months last year off the juice then got on it again.
Stopped on the 2nd of January again and will be off now until at least London!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The first week of training has gone quite well with a total of 32 miles covered.Longest run was just over 10.5 miles on Sat in pouring rain.
Looking forward to the 2nd week.:)
I'm following the runners world schedule for the garmin.What's everyone else doing for a schedule?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Week 1 over and 33.6miles run inc a 11.7miler yesterday in the strong wind off the east coast!
No injuries to report....so far so good.

Like Steepler I'm off the booze until post FLM....shouldn't be difficult though as I don't drink much anyway.

I'm following my own schedule hot foot based to a degree on Hal Higdon's and my own experience of marathon training in the past.

Roll on week 2!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good luck one and all for the training, I'm watching this thread with a particular interest as I hope to enter the FLM next year.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok then week 2 just finished and all still ok(ish).
Did very slow 12.25m on Saturday and therefore wasn't completely whacked for the rest of the day!
Have found that I am shuffling more than running. When I run properly and lift my knees I suffer the right hip, and then groin, pain I was struggling with Nov-Dec last year. If I shuffle I go slower but don't have this hip pain. Appointment with fizz required as shuffling 26.2m not my idea of fun!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Week 3 was always going to be a tricky one due to family dos involving travel and a club cross country race. Result:-no long run! Long term blessing in disguise hopefully!
Still to book that fizz appointment.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, c'mon Steve. Look how easily they're sorting me out, and I'm nowhere near running a marathon. You must help yourself, or your dreams will go awry.

Well done Steepler - sounds like you're really putting the miles behind you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Training log

Thought I would belatedly join in!!
Mileage steadily going up, clocked 56 miles week just finished including about 14 yesterday. Still quite young so trying to raise the mileage gradually, never really ventured much over 50 mpw before. Aiming for 62 this week. Have noticed the training has become a lot more focused since I started putting a target mileage for each week. Such a simple thing.....

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steady Edwina/Karen,
I'll do it today.....honest, I will, when I've dealt with a few things in the office first, OK?!

Steepler/Sensible
You are putting me to shame with that mileage already!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you are running mileage you are bound to feel tired.
That's the problem with runners these days. They do 50 miles get tired and think they are doing too much, then never do a 'big' week again!I am aiming to build up to 80-90 mpw in the next few weeks. Mileage is the answer with some faster stuff for the Marathon. You really can't race a decent marathon off 40mpw!
Need to get more sleep and eat better!

1 - 20 of 246 Posts