Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I’m looking to run in the 2008 London Marathon. I’ve never run this race before and I’m fully aware of the great demand to get in. I know of the ballot system that the organisers use and also of the charities that buy places. To be honest I would want to run for charity anyway so I’m looking at running for someone who gives you a guanteed place if you run for them. The problem is, the charities I’ve looked at are asking you to raise around £1,500-£1,800 in order for you to get in. I wouldn’t be able to get anywhere around this sort of money. Does anybody know of a charity that offers a place if you raise around £500-£750? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Of course youo can get that sort of money,you have a long time yet to get it and not just through sponsership, how about a car wash scheme or dog walking or do a boot sale in aid of your charity, you'll be suprised at how quickly the money builds up,Ian

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I don't think you'll find a charity with much lower limits I'm afraid. It is tough getting the sponsorship, mainly because there are so many people in the same position asking for FLM sponsorshp so you have to try and get in first.

You could enter the ballot anyway... you might get lucky

·
Registered
101 Posts
My wife got in on golden bond place and has to pledge £1000. If you go on the Crunch website you might find bond places with similar amounts. She's running for Ionthe midwives trust, her being a midwife 'n' all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sponsorship levels

I work for a charity called Save the Rhino (anyone in past FLMs been overtaken by a giant charging rhino?), and we don't specify a minimum sponsorship level. However, you have to appreciate that charities pay around £300 to the London Marathon authorities for every Gold Bond place, and then probably fork out at least £100 - £200 more on admin time, t-shirts, training help and the like. Once you take all this into account, you find most charities will need people to raise about £1000 in order to cover costs and make a profit, and even then they aren't really making the normal profit margin most places like from an event. After all, they are charities!

I probably couldn't accept anyone with a target or less than £1000. However, having said that, this is one of the lowest targets you can find. And we do still have places left if you are interested!

But it is possible to hit this target; and I am writing as a charity worker on some appallingly low "wages". A lot of people do put on events, which is a lot more fun than just asking people for money, and can raise a lot more. And any good charity would give you help and advice on that fundraising.

Go for it; the fundraising is part of the challenge!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah, don't limit yourself! I raised £400 in 4 days just to get my dreads cut off last year for red nose day!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts