Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got my place for th GNR!! Yippee! Or should that be oh hell!

Will want to book my ticket early so get a good price. But what is best time to fly in to the UK before a race?

Its only a 2 hour flight from Prague to Newcastle. Should I get in a few days before, or will I be ok 24 hrs?

Its not a long haul flight so not expecting it to make me tired but never ran a HM so dont want to make any mistakes.

Anyone flown to a race? Any tips?

Prahalady
PS, staying at parents in Newcastle so can stay as long as want.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Prahalady said:
Well got my place for th GNR!! Yippee! Or should that be oh hell!

Will want to book my ticket early so get a good price. But what is best time to fly in to the UK before a race?

Its only a 2 hour flight from Prague to Newcastle. Should I get in a few days before, or will I be ok 24 hrs?

Its not a long haul flight so not expecting it to make me tired but never ran a HM so dont want to make any mistakes.

Anyone flown to a race? Any tips?

Prahalady
PS, staying at parents in Newcastle so can stay as long as want.
That's good news Prahalady!

I flew into Prague in 2005 to do the marathon there...arrived on the Friday so as to register on the Saturday. I did the same when I did the Chicago marathon and didn't suffer any jetlag issues.

I think it's best to try to get to your destination 2 days before the race to allow for unexpected problems, delays etc. It also allows you to get into the spirit of the race on the day before.

If I was you, as you can stay with your parents, I'd make the most of it , get there early and score as many brownie points as possible!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have never flown to a race it has to be said, but considering that it is only a 2 hr flight I can't imagine that you need arrive any sooner that 24hrs (unless you want to chill out for an extra day)

I imagine a car trip for a couple of hours would be worse.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with Steve!

Get there a couple of days before the race. This wil help you acclimatise and ajust your sleeping patterns.

After a marathon you immune system is very low..... do not drink out rewashed glasses ...only diposable ones and wear a medical mask on the plane back (recirculated air).

coachsherwood

1 - 4 of 4 Posts