Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am only petite (5ft) and slim 6 stone 12lbs. I am a very small frame, always have been slim no matter how much I eat;)

How much water should I be drinking now I am running? I am rubbish at remembering to drink, I drink very little each day.

Do I need to take in extra calories to make sure I don't lose weight from running?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Jing said:
I am only petite (5ft) and slim 6 stone 12lbs. I am a very small frame, always have been slim no matter how much I eat;)

How much water should I be drinking now I am running? I am rubbish at remembering to drink, I drink very little each day.

Do I need to take in extra calories to make sure I don't lose weight from running?
Built a bit like me then Jing:rolleyes: As you run more regularly you will probably find that you'll gain a little weight .This is due to you building muscle .

There are various schools of thought regarding fluid intake and running .It's generally thought to be good to be hydrated to run .but like eveything we are all different !

You're doing a 5k in july so it'll be reasonably warm( optimistically) so it would be wise to be hydrated before hand However you should be running for only a short time.

If you take your run pace at the moment you'll only be running for 30 mins so hydration in the race shouldnt be an issue.

There are a few of us on here who don't drink a great deal of water pre/during or post race I suppose a general rule of thumb is if your thirsty have a drink.

You really speaking need to be adequately fuelled a good balanced diet is fine .

Obviously the more effort your going to put in in terms of distance if you decided to step up to a half then it stands to reason that you are going to have to fuel that run distance .

With a 5 k though you should be fine with a healthy balanced diet .

Carbs and protien are a distance runners best friend as are rest sleep and good shoes,and for some a jar of vaseline to stop chafing and the dreaded joggers nipple .
Hope this makes it a little clearer .

Cheriton;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the advice, I took water with me today but really didn't need it and it was a pain carrying it:p

Your advice is very much appreciated:d

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
it's an extremely painful thing apparently were the action of running causes friction on some peoples nipples i fortunately have never suffered but quite a few on here have .
Also there was a recent thread about it on here probably called ooooh my nips hurt or something like that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My nips don't stick out enough to get caught by the wind, I think i was last in the que when god was handing out boobs so I will be ok:p

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
there are some fellas in this forum who are going to have the vapours after reading this post jing

call from the background......
"Nurse he's out of bed again!"

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Yeah I would've thought runners nipple was more of a concern for gents... unless of course they choose to wear moob support of some kind?

In terms of hydration... in terms of race day hydration, drink around a pint of water once you wake up to replace fluids lost during the night, then just sip drink throughout the day until 1 hour before your race, then stop. That normally serves me perfectly well until the end of a race up to half marathon distance - though of course things can change when the sun comes out to play!

Best indicator is the colour of your urine, if you're well hydrated it'll be clear, the darker it is the more dehydrated you are. Whilst it's important you don't dehydrate, complete hydration isn't essential, though I aim for it as I remember reading an article saying something along the lines of "being dehydrated by as little as 5% can lead to a 20% reduction in performance" which sounds quite a significant amount, but I'd rather not risk losing that much time! lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts