Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I was reading some running magazine, and it had food ideas for runners to stock up on energy for races.

Im around 3 stone over weight, I was just wondering if it was worth taking on what they suggest, or if that is only suitable for people who are already fit just looking for energy storing tips.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You still need the energy to run!
loose the weight gradually through sensible eating and running.
Don't go on a crash diet!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why don't you try Slimming World. It is based on healthy eating, always makes you welcome and keeps you motivated. Together with running and any other exercise you like, you'll be slim and fit in no time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies

I did join a slimmers world, it did help a bit.

The women who ran the club was really fat, and didnt really inspire me.
I felt i was paying £4 a week, just to stand on some scales.

I may look for another one in my local area though

·
Registered
4 Posts
weight loss

hi, i found weightwatchers really good,on the points diet you eat what you want as long as you dont go over your allowance and you get bonus points for exercise.it costs £5 each week but i too felt i was paying just to get weighed so i just carried on the diet and saved the money :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I agree with Steepler.

Eat 3 meals a day but make sure it's proper healthy food...cut out processed muck and concentrate on lean meat, fish, fruit and veg....boring I know but it's the best policy by far. If you are doing long runs then pasta is obviously important too.

Keep off the ale too!

Doesn't hurt to have the odd blip...we have to live after all... but make sure it is just the odd blip.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got myself a personal trainer 2 years ago (saw him twice a week) for 6 months and he really knocked me into shape - best money I've every spent and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest to anybody, if they can afford to, to go down this route. I'm now seeing another PT just for 12 weeks (going on holiday over Xmas!) and he's put together some really good sports specific programmes (related to running of course) and I think they really help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Count your calories for a week or so, see where most of the calories are coming from and cut down. To lose 1lb of fat, you need to burn 3000 calories which may sound a lot but is a realistic objective to lose 1lb a week. Add on to that running and cutting down on calories and the weight will soon come off. Don't rush into any crash diets or fasting as in the long term there is no net benefit. Steadily cut back on energy intake and steadily increase your exercise work load by no more than 10% a week and by Christmas the weight should steadily be coming off. I echo Steepler that a running club makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Nick B,
I think I've read between the lines that you must be a student. What are you studying? Sport and exercise physiology is my guess, because you seem quite knowledgeable about all these things. I'm just being curious.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good luck with the new year's studies Nick. Hope it's a good one for you. I'm taking a three month break, and re-start my studies in January. Have promised myself that improving my running over these next 3 months is one of my key targets for my time off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts