Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am currently getting in to Running having started since the turn of the year with the intention of running a marathon later in the year. I have been doing 20k a week for the latest four weeks over three to four runs with no complaints. This week i increased two of my runs by 4k by extending my route, on the new route I ran on a severely sloped footpath for about 300 metres which meant one leg was extending more than the other. I didnt really notice anything at the time but the following morning I had a dull pain in the sole/arch of my foot, tenderness in my lower leg(just above my ankle to the outside of my leg) which is quite painful to touch and a soreness when I rotate my ankle :eek: . This is really frustrating as I am becoming quite addicted to this running lark and not being able to get out is killing me.

hopefully resting and icing for the weekend will do some good.

If any of you had any similar injuries and could suggest the treatment you used that would be great

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
It sounds like the old shin splints

They occur when you suddenly increase intensity and exertion. ice the pain immediately on returning from your run for 10-15 mins elevate the affected leg take ibuprofen or similar to help reduce the inflamation if it's too painful to run rest awhile.
The muscles attached to the shin run down the leg and under the foot hence the pain there
Have you had your gait checked could be you need different shoes

There are several threads on shin splints on this forum also if you google shin splints there's loads of info on there

take it easy

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Hi Nivraw, Welcome to the forum!

I don't think the sloped pavment will have caused your injury - obviously running on roads/pavements with noticeable camber regularly isn't ideal, but I don't think the short stint you mention would cause injury.

Sounds like an overuse injury to me, rest yourself and then ease back into training. Did you run much before the new year? The body can take quite a while to adapt to running (i.e. your fitness will adapt quicker than your muscles/tendons/ligaments) so potentially you could've been training around your body's limit before. Your increased mileage of 40% has quite possibly taken you beyond what your body is currently capable of - most experts suggest not increasing your mileage by more than 10% each week.

Fear not though, you'll soon be on the mend. Overuse injuries are pretty common with new runners - often like yourself, being keen and eager to get out and run as much as possible! (I was exactly the same and suffered with shin splints doing too much too soon).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many Thanks for the replies guys,

As for the Running before Christmas, No there wasnt much the onbly excersise I got was some 5-a-side soccer, Your probably right with the overreaching explanation. Little too Eager I suppose :embarrassed: .

I have been resting all weekend, Icing the area as well, so hopefully I can get back out there soon.

Thanks Again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts