Runners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i know there are lots of foot pain query's on here but none seem to answer my question.

So basically i'm completely new to running not run in 10 + years i am only 5 ft 4 but weight is nearing 18 stone.

i am also doing the couch to 5k app but the second i start running my feet literally are agonising pain, I cant really describe it but its like being punched in the foot with every step followed by cramp from toe to heel on both top and bottom of both feet. Once i change back to walking it eases off fairly quickly.

my question is quite simple really, Do you think its just the weight pounding down onto my feet causing the pain or could it be something else? if it is weight related does anyone know how long it's going to continue from their own personal experiences.

i look forward to any help recieved.

Thank you

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi, congrats on starting couch to 5k.

I’ve run consistently for many years but in January I was the heaviest I’d been and the first few months of this year were a nightmare. I had lots of heel pain that a local podiatrist diagnosed as a bruised heel, fat pad. Thankfully it’s eased off as I’ve lost 2 stone.

I think the issue you’ll have is that until you shed some of the weight you’ll experience niggles that you’re unlikely to have if you were leaner. (I know all about this).

My advice would be to see a podiatrist and potentially even get your gait analysed so you know which trainers to run in. I can’t tell you how big a difference running feels when you get the right pair for your form and gait.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, congrats on starting couch to 5k.

I’ve run consistently for many years but in January I was the heaviest I’d been and the first few months of this year were a nightmare. I had lots of heel pain that a local podiatrist diagnosed as a bruised heel, fat pad. Thankfully it’s eased off as I’ve lost 2 stone.

I think the issue you’ll have is that until you shed some of the weight you’ll experience niggles that you’re unlikely to have if you were leaner. (I know all about this).

My advice would be to see a podiatrist and potentially even get your gait analysed so you know which trainers to run in. I can’t tell you how big a difference running feels when you get the right pair for your form and gait.
thanks for this, this is what i wanted to hear really. its very hard to get started again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts