Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having odd foot pain ever since my run monday - it hurts where it says the 'dorsum forefoot' (grey part in link below) whenever I put weight on the toes.

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/podiatry/myofasc/myofascialpics/Latlegannotate2.jpg

Does anyone know what has caused this?

It may help me decide whether I should rest a bit more or carry on trying to run (not sure that you can call ~9 minute miles a 'run'! :().

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi

We often see runners who can develop pain here when they have tied thier shoe laces to tight. Becasue there is minimal fat around this area the tight shoes laces can either irritate the extensor tendon here or the bone itself.

other problems around this area include a stress fracture, and extensor tendonitis. I would rest it for 7 days, if the pain doesnt go- see a sports podiatrist,

·
Registered
177 Posts
premierphysio said:
hi

We often see runners who can develop pain here when they have tied thier shoe laces to tight. Becasue there is minimal fat around this area the tight shoes laces can either irritate the extensor tendon here or the bone itself.

other problems around this area include a stress fracture, and extensor tendonitis. I would rest it for 7 days, if the pain doesnt go- see a sports podiatrist,

Indeed i suffered from pain in both feet in the area your describing. Mine was down to using an old pair of trainers on a 10 mile run BIG mistake. I actually had a job to walk for a week and rested from exercise for 2. Although this was not enough as i reinjured the foot (stress fractures to both feet) and the had to lay off exercise apart from swimming for a month. Just rest it and try not to push it to hard to soon when returning to running.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It does sound like extensor tendontis, thanks, but I don't think I caused it by having tight shoelaces.

edit: are there any foot exercises that can help?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to post about this, as on Wed I managed a 20 mins run (only my 4th) and I was fine (ish) It was only when I swam after that I felt it, then it was further exasibated with excersizing my horse. Thought it was ok yesterday, as had no pain all day, then did a 30 min run, and it was back :( Even usung the clutch on my car is sore today - boooo. Been told to take Ibuprofen as its anti-inflamitory.

Mine was caused most definately caused by my laces beign too tight, and the fact I have very boney feet for a fat lass. I am going to change my laces to flat ones - right now they are tubular and I deffo think they made it worse. I was thinking of using elastic, so that it flexes more, but then, if that worked all running shoes would have elastic laces wouldnt they?

(gosh, you can tell i am bored cant you!)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Weebie2008 said:
and the fact I have very boney feet for a fat lass.

.............:d :d :d :d :d

You`ve made me smile on a friday morning W.

Thanks for that.....;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I was told by a running shop to avoid elastic laces unless I was using them in a triathalon or similar (for a quick footwear swap during transition), as you're right in suggesting they allow extra give, but this apparently reduces the stability of the shoe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I found that the arch of my foot hurt after a few runs, I started loosening the laces and the pain has gone away.. this the same as yours?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ahhh, well I did try it and gave up after a toddle round the garden - no support what so ever. So I have hunted and found flat laces - shamelessly nicked of a pair of sisters old trainers I found - haha, i'll need the trainers to run away wen she tries to kill me!

I've just on the Ibuprofen now, and I have transvasin on it. I think it is deffo laces related - so I am on the hunt for padded socks as I also noticed that there isn't much padding in the tongue of my trainers.

Also...I found this :http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.runnersworld.com/images/cma/lacingtechniques200x200.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html&h=200&w=200&sz=10&hl=en&start=2&sig2=b8pX0-CkANiX4hVFz3y5OQ&um=1&tbnid=RY4PKSJ-kEn5kM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=104&ei=9I1TSO6tGpuKwAGb_eGeAw&prev=/images?q=how+to+lace+shoes+to+relieve+pain&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:embarrassed:fficial&hs=B4R&sa=G

·
Registered
32 Posts
haha "i'll need the trainers to run away wen she tries to kill me! " :)!

yeah this sounds very simular to what happend to me, I changed socks and loosen them too.

good luck with the nu laces

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to buy some proper running shoes today and was told I tie my laces were too loose. So I think it was just an overuse injury. I don't run heel to toe like most people.

The video sounds like stupid advice. Don't believe everything you hear from "Runner World Shoe Lab" - particularly when it shows an american teenager telling you to get lipstick and draw around the area of the foot that hurts ?!

·
Registered
119 Posts
the lacing techniques on that site are all good, i'm not sure about the need to mark the foot with lipstick...put your foot in the shoe and feel where it is sore, work around that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts