Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few weeks ago after a run my foot had a strained aching feeling in it, on the outside part of the foot just in front of the ankle bone, and it went up my leg a little way. i rested it for a week and a half and it felt better, so i started running again. it felt fine during the run but the same sort of aching feeling returned after the run, but now mostly just around the foot, and it was not as bad. it feels fine when running, and directly after, but during the day when resting it seems to start again. does anyone know what this might be? should i take another week of rest?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
It may be worth cutting back on the distance and frequency of your runs
although without knowing how far and how frequent it's hard to advise
Also may be worthwhile trying to run on a more forgiving surface grass for example

other than that my best advice would be to keep running and never stop pain gone problem solved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i went running through some woods today, and my shin felt similar a certain points, might it be an early stage of shin splints? if i take another week of rest is it likely to affect my performance when i start running again? should i stick to cycling while it heals?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
sure cycling swimming crosstraining anything that keeps the old heart pumping
you say at certain points?

also there are a lot of stretches that can help google shin splints theres tons of advice on there and you can download the info

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the ache/pain is more around this area:

and it was not constant it varied depending on what i was standing on, and sometimes when doing nothing (sitting on a chair) it aches slightly.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Well it seems clear from your pic that you've inflamed that area at some point .
It could be that you've had a slight stumble inthe woods or even on the road in as much as your running over an uneven surface and sometimes you dont notice any immediate discomfort but it can come on at some later date . possibly a hard run can inflame it some more compounding the problem .

when you recommenced your running did you get straight back to the distances /duration you were doing before it happened ?

the best thing is to start back gradually that way theres less chance of aggravating it again if it hasn't fully healed

If it's too painful to run on take some more time r.i.c.e the affected area
and if you do decide to continue to exercise with it wear some support and ice the area immediately you cease the exercise.

Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts