Runners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to ask this, but here seems a suitable a place as any.
I really want to get fit for Football so I don't embarrass myself if I join a team. I was wondering if any of you know if there is any good training for Football I could do at the gym, just in terms of fitness. Just being able to run far doesn't really do it because of all the changes in pace.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Well, I think you need to mix it with gym training and outside training.

You can build up your leg muscles at the gym, lose weight and increase your stamina by using x trainer, running machine, leg lifts etc.

But you also need to sprint. When I trained at football training you had to do a lot of sprints, then jogging, then sprinting etc. Sprint up, touch ground, sprint back etc. Then when running around the pitch sprint for 1 minute, jog for 2, sprint for 1 etc.

Also, get yourself a football, practise against a brick wall if you have one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm just not sure where I could go outside to do sprinting and stuff. I don't want to go somewhere where there is people cause I'm worried about looking like a fool haha.
Oh I wish I had a brick wall... my garden is awful for Football. I have a lot of garden, but it's not suited at all to sport. To bumpy and steps and flowers etc.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Various things, just make sure you are constantly changing pace:

- Fartlek runs - jog, sprint, jog, run, jog, sprint without structure. Sprinting and jogging randomly, mimicking football.

- Is there a football pitch nearby? If so, jog/run the length and sprint the width. Repeat however many times you can, and gradually increase the amount of laps as you get fitter. Can also include bodyweight squats, press ups etc. after each lap/every 2nd lap.

- 'Doggies' - place a cone 5m from start line, another 5m from there, another 5m from there (increase/decrease distance depending on fitness) - sprint to 1st cone and back, sprint to 2nd and back, sprint to 3rd and back. Repeat 5-10 times, again dependent on fitntess levels.

- Hill sprints.

- Structured interval runs - jog 5 mins, sprint 20 seconds/jog 40secs * 6/8/10 (again, adjust for your fitness levels).

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Get a futsal ball and do keepyup and control excercises for 20 minutes every day without fail.

Practise jogging up to an hour. When thats easy, sprint between lamp posts, recvoer and repeat.

Gym work on legs and upper body strength will help.

Short pace drills are good too, like run 10m, switch direction and run 10m again. Acceleration Is the key there.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yeah, I'm just not sure where I could go outside to do sprinting and stuff. I don't want to go somewhere where there is people cause I'm worried about looking like a fool haha.
Oh I wish I had a brick wall... my garden is awful for Football. I have a lot of garden, but it's not suited at all to sport. To bumpy and steps and flowers etc.

I would say you are going to struggle if you can't get outside. Unless the football team you want to play for only play indoors?

So, you feel like people will look at you. They will laugh at your ineptitude. They will point and jeer at you.

Truth is, that is so unlikely. I started running in a local playing field/recreation centre. Full of dog walkers, and kids/teenagers on the play equipment. They may have said something, I don't know because I had my iphone on. Really loud!

Anyway, rarely have I been abused, I was once wolf whistled by a group of young ladies, but other than that no-one has said a word.

My neighbour used to smirk at me when went out early morning for a run. But only becasue I had full length running tights on under my shorts and big white socks. I would have laughed at myself to be honest.

If you are going to play for a football team, you are going to have to get used to feeling embarrassed, because they will rip the proverbial out of you anyway. As for fitness, the team |I played for was on sunday mornings, 2 or 3 of the guys couldn't run 100 yards without collapsing.

Just go for it, enjoy!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, there is some Football pitches at the school up the road. We're not supposed to use them, but they're easy enough to get in to so I could go at night. If I did get caught, it would have to be a mean person who kicked me off. I do really need to get some sprinting work in because the only time I ever sprint is if I'm playing Football, which isn't normally that often.
Cheers for the replies, guys.

·
Registered
912 Posts
play 5 a side VR,i have recently taken it back up,but when i played 11 a side a few years a go i would have two 5 a side sessions and a one hour team training session a week plus a game on the saturday.

5 a side is a great tempo session :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I think you need to mix it with gym training and outside training.

You can build up your leg muscles at the gym, lose weight and increase your stamina by using x trainer, running machine, leg lifts etc.

But you also need to sprint. When I trained at football training you had to do a lot of sprints, then jogging, then sprinting etc. Sprint up, touch ground, sprint back, etc. Then when running around the pitch sprint for 1 minute, jog for 2, sprint for 1, etc.
maillot Sénégal 2022 pas cher
Also, get yourself a football, practice against a brick wall if you have one.
This may be a complete shot in the dark but I have been asked to help coach a third team that my son plays for, I think I will be given the opportunity to get the official training qualification in the future, but if anyone is or has recently passed the official badges can you recommend any books or web sites worth a read?

I am off on holiday for a few weeks at the end of July and will be helping the middle of August, so I have some time to carry out some reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts